ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Virtual clone via expressions+script? // Auto-pickwhip dozens of parameters?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric ChardVirtual clone via expressions+script? // Auto-pickwhip dozens of parameters?
by on Jul 21, 2013 at 1:57:15 am

There's various ways around my particular need here, BUT in the interest of curiosity:

Is there a script that will essentially CLONE a Text layer, and have the clone automagically (via expressions) ape all the settings on the original layer? IOW, this script would Duplicate a Text layer, and automatically set pickwhip-type expressions for all the parameters.

The user could then disable those parameters s/he doesn't want slaved-- otherwise you'd just use a pre-comp.

My feeling here is it's easier to DISABLE a few parameters rather than set up the dozens of slave parameters.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Virtual clone via expressions+script? // Auto-pickwhip dozens of parameters?
by on Jul 22, 2013 at 12:52:23 pm

Paul Tuersley's pt_TextEdit script is not exactly what you described, but it may do what you need:

http://www.aescripts.com/pt_textedit/

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Virtual clone via expressions+script? // Auto-pickwhip dozens of parameters?
by on Jul 22, 2013 at 9:59:34 pm

Nahhh, I'm looking more for a slave/clone situation, where a layer will imitate ALL the parameters of the master, except for those you disable (on the premise that it's easier to disable a few than link dozens).

For this particular task I needed one text layer to have a fill, and an identical one to have NO fill.

If this were being art-directed, NO DOUBT the 'creative' would repeatedly change font, kerning, etc, which makes just duplicating the layer impossible. It would be a huge PITA. But a slave layer would follow everything BUT the Fill setting, so you could tweek to your heart's content.

Hmmmm.... I think you could just set this up ONCE as an AEP, and IMPORT the AEP to get this particular arrangement of layers. Then you just need access to that AEP.

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Eric ChardRe: Virtual clone via expressions+script? // Auto-pickwhip dozens of parameters?
by on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:04:19 pm

Maybe not: since, for example, the FONT is not an animatable property, you cannot simply pickwhip it.

++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]