ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Overall VFX Suitability of AE CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathon sendallOverall VFX Suitability of AE CC
by on Jul 20, 2013 at 7:18:18 pm

We have a choice to shoot either with the F55 or Epic for a sci-fi short. It includes two composited scenes, one of a futuristic city and the other looking out of a space station window. At the moment we are thinking 2.5D for both scenes with some CG elements mixed in. Output is 4K if we have the budget and post facilities, 2K if we don't. The question is this. If I decide to pipeline all the VFX through AE CC am I ankling myself in some respects if I didn't option some effects through Nuke or Smoke. Any 3D element will probably be in C4D although that may change to 3DSMAX.

I'm basically looking out for any gotchas or greater advantages with Nuke and Smoke that I might be missing.

Thanks

JPSendall

Story, not pixels.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Overall VFX Suitability of AE CC
by on Jul 21, 2013 at 2:29:59 am

It seems like you're overestimating the work AE would need to do. You could choose your 3d program, choose your motion tracker and then create the animation in your 3d program (sound like it's a sky dome for the star field and a 3d matte painting for the city). You would then bring the shots into AE for composite.

AE as a 2.5D program is simply a program that can composite 2d elements movable in 3d space. Once you start moving the animation to your 3d package there isn't much to worry about as you're dealing with the composite.

I suppose it depends on exactly how these scenes break down. If it's some insane establishing shot where you need to do procedural z-depth based masking.... then yeah go Nuke.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

jonathon sendallRe: Overall VFX Suitability of AE CC
by on Jul 21, 2013 at 4:12:07 am

Well I'm aware of most of the things AE can do but I'm no expert. We already have a matte painting for the city but it wasn't done for the job so I'm separating the elements out for z space and then filling in behind the various elements as well to compensate for camera movement. I guess there might be atmospherics in Z as the city is in dusk and some smoke is in there too far rioting but it's distant so very little movement.

What I'm asking really from a lack of knowledge overall, what can't I do in AE that I can in Smoke or Nuke . . . or Resolve for that matter. You've already mentioned Z depth masking. Anything else?

Thanks for replying.

JPSendall

Story, not pixels.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Overall VFX Suitability of AE CC
by on Jul 21, 2013 at 6:32:38 pm

z depth matte - you actually can use that in Ae:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Not knowing your shot it's hard to say what can't be done in AE. From what you described I find AE suited for the job in all aspects.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2013 at 6:37:27 pm

Thanks Ted

So I'm getting the impression that as a comp piece/camera tracking software AE is all I need.

Cheers

JPSendall

Story, not pixels.

Return to posts index

Ryan FrengRe: Overall VFX Suitability of AE CC
by on Jul 22, 2013 at 5:07:05 pm

Comping/camera tracking is certainly the least of what you can do. AE CC can even import c4d files thanks to the new interchange in AE CC. The camera tracking in AE is great as long as you don't have more than two types of movement, ie: pan+tilt+dolly=bad, pan+tilt=good, tilt/pan+dolly=good. For those more complex moves you'll need mocha or boujou or another camera tracker.

Shoot smart.

Owner/Director
Backflip Films
http://www.backflipfilms.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2013 at 7:51:31 pm

Jonathon,

I wouldn't say that z-depth masking is something AE can't so, I was leaning on that example to show you something that Nuke handles with far less steps.

Comparatively, they can do the same thing in terms of actually compositing images. Nuke has the upper hand in terms of how easy it is for it to access multi channel files (accessing z-depth or UV passe), doing rudimentary 3D work because it supports 3D models directly better than AE and so on.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Fallen Empire - The Blog

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:56:10 pm

Ok, so for instance I have a 2.5D Matte, some CG elements such as flying vehicles, and then I put in some atmospherics, some smoke in Z. You're saying Nuke will give me better access to those files in unison than AE can?

JPSendall

Story, not pixels.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2013 at 10:13:31 pm

I would say, based on what you've told me so far, that these comps are essentially both background replacements/establishing shots.

I would probably build all elements including atmospheric particles in your 3D package along with a Z-Depth channel. In AE you can access the Z-Depth channel, and that's where I would do lens blur/DOF if needed. The one drawbacks is that AE's access to these aux channels is limited to 8-bit. I would investigate an alternative to the direct process.

If you have a lot of roto/repaint work then Nuke has a toolset that usually makes that process quicker.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Fallen Empire - The Blog

Return to posts index

Shawn MillerRe: Overall VFX Suitability of AE CC
by on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:23:40 pm

[Angelo Lorenzo] "In AE you can access the Z-Depth channel, and that's where I would do lens blur/DOF if needed. The one drawbacks is that AE's access to these aux channels is limited to 8-bit."

Sorry for coming in so late on this. But are you talking about channels from an OpenEXR file? I thought AE accessed .EXR channels in 32bit... am I wrong?

Shawn

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:44:58 pm

I'm looking at Effects > 3D > 3D channel extract

Slipped my mind to forget about EXtractor which is, indeed, 32-bit. My apologies.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Fallen Empire - The Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]