ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

ramps in ray-traced 3d

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Strobeckramps in ray-traced 3d
by on Jul 18, 2013 at 11:10:19 pm

I am assuming ramps don't work in ray-traced 3d. Anyone know how I can get a gradient on my shape layer? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John FentonRe: ramps in ray-traced 3d
by on Jul 19, 2013 at 3:34:19 pm

Use a point light parented to the object and adjust the falloff radius so you get the shading your want? Never tried it but should work if it is just one object in range of the light.

Return to posts index

Kris StrobeckRe: ramps in ray-traced 3d
by on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:12:32 pm

That sounds like a good idea. I may have to do that. I am building a logo in after effects that is already in Illustrator. I'm just trying to match the gradients how the designers made it. Not sure I trust my eye. Thanks for the idea.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: ramps in ray-traced 3d
by on Jul 19, 2013 at 7:19:42 pm

Another thing that might work is to import the Illustrator file as a layered comp and then convert the layers to shapes. Gradient layers will still not maintain the gradient when converted but you could use the original illustrator in front of the shape layer for the color. or if the gradient in the AI file has a stroke you can put the gradient fill on it's own layer in AI and just duplicate it and offset the layers in Z so it makes a front and back face with the stroke acting as the sides. Hard to explain but here's an example project.'>example project.

Erik Waluska

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved