ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rec. 2020 color space in After Effects CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Waggoner
Rec. 2020 color space in After Effects CS6
on Jul 18, 2013 at 3:54:03 am

I have some 16-bit per channel sources in Pro Photo RGB that I am working with in After Effects. I would like to render this out as a 10-bit 4:2:2 Rec. 2020 file that I can open up in x264 and use its new Rec. 2020 support (which has a much broader gamut than good old Rec. 709).

But AE doesn't have a working space for this. Does anyone have a workflow or other suggestion for how I can make a Rec. 2020 intermediate file?

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Rec. 2020 color space in After Effects CS6
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:27:46 am

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471169/madvr-argyllcms/180 about half way down will be a link to this file http://www.argyllcms.com/Win32_collink_3dlut.zip

It includes a Rec. 2020 icc profile (.icm extension, rename to .icc for OSX) Looks like a reputable source from someone who knows color science but I'd consider it experimental.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jul 18, 2013 at 7:07:23 pm

Great! I loaded it into C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles and it seems to be working perfectly. I'm rendering out a test clip right now.

FYI, the new version of x264 supports Rec. 2020 color space, and I'm hoping to look at some real 2020 video later today.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Apr 21, 2014 at 6:56:48 pm

And drat! I had to reformat my drive and that link doesn't work anymore. Anyone have a fresh link or another other way to get those Rec. 2020 .imc/.icc files?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 19, 2013 at 11:59:58 am

Hi Ben,

First off, a little bit of fan mail. Reading your posts online a decade ago now got me interested in the mechanics of compression, and it's because of generous people like yourself that I started paying it forward and contributing on forums like this one. Many thanks for your contributions to the field, and indirectly to my career.

Next, a question. I just looked up the CIE diagram for Rec. 2020. It's big! The primaries are all right on the spectral locus. Are there monitors today capable displaying this with decent coverage, or is this still mostly theoretical?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]