ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replace photoshop layers with PNGs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Konstantin KartashovReplace photoshop layers with PNGs
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 8:31:27 am

Hi, guys. Let me explain my purpose. I have a PSD image, imported to AE as a composition(retain layer sizes) and set of PNG images, exported from photoshop via "export layers to files" script. These files also trimmed based on alpha so i can easily replace PSD layers (in AE) just alt+dragging PNG files from library to layers. But i have tones of these pictures, so i would prefer to automate this process.

Any suggestions how to do it?
P.S. I tried to use "Batch search and replace" script, but it appears to be unable to resolve my task (or may be I didn't understand how to do it right).

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Replace photoshop layers with PNGs
by on Jul 17, 2013 at 4:57:19 pm

I don't know any way of doing it automatically.

But unless you have hundreds it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. I had to replace 200+ layers once, obeying some guides and it took 15 mins.

Are they the same (bitmap wise?). May I ask why do you need to switch formats?

Return to posts index

Konstantin KartashovRe: Replace photoshop layers with PNGs
by on Jul 18, 2013 at 7:09:29 am

Yes, i don't have thousands of layers, and each of such conversions doesn't take too much time. But i obliged to repeat this process time and times again, and it's just boring so much (and of cause summary time multiplying too). And my partner does this stuff too, so it make sence to automate the process.
We need to swap formats because our game engine working only with mono-layered images. Our artists paint the whole picture in PSD, and then i should separate these layers to animate it.

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Replace photoshop layers with PNGs
by on Jul 18, 2013 at 1:43:15 pm

I'm with Cassius. I'm confused why you'd want to switch your PSD files out for PNGs. I don't think you're trying to save hard drive space are you? Are you talking abou the layer comp layers in the imported folder in AE that contains all the PSD layers? You exported those from PS using the script and now you'd like to replace the layered file with PNGs, correct? This seems like a redundant waste of time.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2013 at 2:03:50 pm

I'm working with the game engine, that needs to have mono-layered files. It's using the AE project as a source of animation. But the whole image (that artists painting before animation) is PSD. So i should import PSD to AE, and replace layers with the PNGs (without position change). Of course you guys right - it isn't taking too much time to replace it manually. But I doing such job time and times again, and so doing my partner. So it's boring me very much.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 18, 2013 at 6:11:34 pm

Yeah, sorry that we can't help you on that but if you don't mind, enlighten me, because I failed to see the connection.

You're animating them within AE and then the game engine read's the file? I undesrtood that the game needs single files, but what that got to do with AE? What do you mean by using as source?

Also maybe for any future interactions you may want to batch export them to PNG prior to the animation in AE. Then just replace as needed once any changes to the PSD are made.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2013 at 7:06:31 am

Yes, Cassius, we use the actual AE project as a source of animation (it is 2 dimentional games, "moving pictures"). And we do exactly as you have said. Batch exporting from photoshop via "Export layers to files" and then import it to AE. Actually here our problems started. I have two options:
1)put PSD file as a background layer, then drop my PNGs to the same comp, and start my tedious work placing it to the proper positions
2)import PSD file as composition with the layers trimmed, and then start my tedious work replacing the layers with the PNGs one by one.
As for me, the second way more preferable, it strictly keeps the layers position and just faster to proceed.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 19, 2013 at 2:42:48 pm

That's nice, never thought anything else would be able to read .aep but Adobe's own software.
Please share a link to that game when ready guys! Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]