ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fixing poorly lit green screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jebster KropfFixing poorly lit green screen
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:27:13 am

Hi...I realize this forum is specifically for AfterEffects so I'm sure it's bad form to asking about other software but to be honest, I'm not sure what I am looking for. Let me clarify.

I have some fairly poorly lit green screen video footage that even After Effects wasn't all that successful in keying out. I came across a video demo of some software that I have completely forgotten the name of. The key feature that caught my eye was this very cool correction tool where he would take the mouse cursor, drag it over the best lit portion of the green screen, then when he drew the line over the shadowy, poorly lit part of the green screen, it color corrected to the sample draw from the good part. Now, ideally, since I don't own After Effects (it was a friend of mine who was trying to help me out on his computer) I'm looking for a higher end stand-alone chroma key software that has great tools for fixing badly lit green screen. If anyone can help me out I would be very very grateful. I'm not I can afford 600 bucks for a stand-alone program but it's possible. Obviously cheaper is better if the job still gets done. Thanks very much in advance for the help.

Where are you from?..........originally.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Fixing poorly lit green screen
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 2:42:28 am

> I'm not I can afford 600 bucks for a stand-alone program but it's possible

After Effects is free for the first 30 days with the trial, and then $20/month after that.

You can work with badly lit green screens in After Effects. The trick is to not expect one keying effect on one layer to do all of the work.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Fixing poorly lit green screen
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:39:37 pm

One of the problems you're probably having is that you are trying to make AE key out a large area of the poorly lit green BG. Even if you've applied a garbage matte already, you still may be asking a lot of the Keylight effect.

My first attempt at a fix would be to apply the venerable 'Creating Super Tight Junk Mattes' technique found here...

This techniques creates a junk or garbage matte that is 25 pixels away from your foreground subject, leaving Keylight to only have to key out a 25 pixel wide green band.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID5 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * CS6.x Creative Cloud
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fixing poorly lit green screen
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:37:03 pm

I'd say your chore will be a crap shoot. The reason for this is the condition of the edges between subject & background. Depending on the camera, you could be successful... or not.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved