ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Saturation effect applied for the sake of negating a master Saturation adjustment layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pawl fisherSaturation effect applied for the sake of negating a master Saturation adjustment layer
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:52:15 am

Quick question:

Does having a Saturation effect on a layer that NEGATES the saturation caused by an above adjustment layer cause artifacts / video quality loss?

EXPLANATION:

I have an adjustment layer to increase saturation on my whole video.
But there are about 30 or so shots that I don't want over saturated.
So instead of chopping up the adjustment layer , I added a Saturation effect to the clips and set them to -27

so the Saturation adjustment layer increases saturation to 27, so it seems to be working.
But my question for you guys is… is this causing quality loss? I'm using Cineform codec.

does this make sense? thanks for your time

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Saturation effect applied for the sake of negating a master Saturation adjustment layer
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 11:53:18 am

The two primary ways that you lose color information through the application of one effect and then another effect to undo the changes are quantization and clipping. You can avoid both of these problems by working with your project at 32-bpc and using effects that work at 32-bpc. The added precision of color information and preservation of over-range and under-range values prevent artifacts of the kind that you're concerned about.

BTW, you could answer your question for yourself by applying the Hue/Saturation effect to a layer with a Master Saturation value of 27, then another instance of the effect with a Master Saturation value of -27. Then compare this with a duplicate of the original layer with no effects using the Difference blending mode, which shows you any places where the layers differ. I just tried this in 8 bpc, 16 bpc, and 32 bpc, and I saw tiny artifacts at the two lower bit depths but none at 32 bpc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

pawl fisherRe: Saturation effect applied for the sake of negating a master Saturation adjustment layer
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 3:26:12 am

wow thanks. so it's as simple as channel the bits per channel? :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]