ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Path + Stroke issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank AshleyPath + Stroke issue
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 9:14:31 pm

Hi guys

I'm currently building a moving map in the fashion of travel documentaries, where a line on the map dictates the journey.
Now! I have created a few and rendered with no issues at all.. but that is because all the paths ( +stroke effect) are within the screen area.
For the most current clip that i'm trying to render.. i need the path (+ stroke) to leave the main viewing area (with which 'the viewing area' will pan through).
The issue that i have however is that when i apply a stroke to the path, it only applies to the viewable section on the screen. So when i am scrolling across the map (yes, the map is larger than the viewing area), only the portion of the path (with 'stroke' applied) within the viewing area appears.

Does anyone know how to apply a stroke to the full path.. including the sections outside of the viewable area?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Path + Stroke issue
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 9:55:25 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do but is the layer with the path and stroke the same size as the map layer? If it's the size of the comp (your "viewing area") then when you move the layer you would see the edges of the layer cut off since they don't extend beyond the comp edges. If that's not the problem could you post a screenshot or provide some more details?

Erik Waluska

Return to posts index

Frank AshleyRe: Path + Stroke issue
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 1:35:14 am

Hey, thanks for taking the reply. To try to better explain myself i was just in the process of making a video.. and then figured it out haha

The main issue that i had, was that i was creating the path inside a solid object which defaulted to my 1920x1080 resolution. The bottom layer of my project is a map file with a resolution of 7000x13000. So the 600mile, plane flight which the path was following had to travel about 9000px vertically (Most of it being outside the 1920x1080 of the solid object layer). The issue being that the solid object[layer] which the path was created on, only registered the 'stroke' effect within its 1920x1080 area span.

The fix: Create a new Solid layer, resize it to the map image size of (7000x13000). Parent the solid to the map image. And Booyah! The path will never leave the boundry of the layer! =D

Sometimes the brain can tie the simplest things into knots =D

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Path + Stroke issue
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 1:49:51 am

Ha! Glad you got it figured out.

Erik Waluska

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved