ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Ray Trace Reflection Weirdness

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy MontgomeryRay Trace Reflection Weirdness
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 12:19:27 am

I need to have a layer reflecting on a floor, but the reflection isn't lining up like I want, so I am trying to use a second layer with reflection set to ONLY, making it invisible except for it's reflection, while the main layer is what shows up in the comp. The main layer's reflections are set to off.

When I render on my Boxx system (Windows 7, Nvidia Quadro) the Main Layer's reflection is showing up even though it's reflection setting is turned off. Meanwhile, the ONLY layer is doing the same thing.

Weirdness goes further... it's renders correctly on a Mac laptop running OSX. Same comp, two different machines, two different results.

If anybody has a clue what's going on here I would love to know exactly what the issue is. I don't really even know how to troubleshoot this, so if someone suspects something might be happening please reply.

Thanks for any help. It's much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Ray Trace Reflection Weirdness
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 1:29:17 am

What version of After Effects? 11.0.2? I.e., have you installed the recent updates: ?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Timothy MontgomeryRe: Ray Trace Reflection Weirdness
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 1:22:46 pm

Yes Todd, I believe that's the latest version. I think the render can happen correctly because if I start from scratch with a new floor and two new layers (one for reflection render, one for actual render) it works. So there's something about my comp causing this I believe.

Return to posts index

Timothy MontgomeryRe: Ray Trace Reflection Weirdness
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:21:40 pm

OK. Found the solve on this, though it seems to be a bit of a bug that it is happening. I've got a shadow catcher floor layer separate from my reflection floor. The shadow floor layer's reflection intensity was 0%, but when I turned that layer off, the offending reflection went away. It was the "appear in reflection" setting on the shadow floor that was causing the issue and turning that setting to off has solved the problem. So now I'm wondering, if the shadow floor setting for reflection intensity was 0%, why was it creating any reflection at all.

This seems like a bug to me.

Anyway, thanks for trying Todd and I'd love to hear if you have a solid reason for why this was happening.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved