COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Löfqvist
Trying do animate a walk cycle with DUIK, no luck
on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:00:37 am

Hi everyone,

My first attempt:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20744/TFB-RUT-SIDAN-3.gif

I have been trying to get a good usage out of DuIK Tools, it has some amazing capabilities but I have some questions:

1) How do I proper set up my artwork to get a solid body, not as in my example – different bodyparts leaving gaps in between.

2) Any tips on how to animate a convincing walk cycle? As I am new to this character animation world I feel overwhelmed by everything; how do I properly set up my character. Do I really need the IK? Why does the body bend in such strange ways.

Anyone with knowledge and experience in this kind of workflow?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Trying do animate a walk cycle with DUIK, no luck
on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:17:23 am

The english tutorials on the duduf website can help you do a proper character rig - it looks though that you got that down from your example.
As far as preparing the body parts, the trick is to round the ends of each part and make it overlap the other creating a disc. Set the anchor point in the middle of this disc and you should get decent results.
Your walking cycle looks more like a running cycle. It's quite ok, just need to slow it down.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mike roberts
Re: Trying do animate a walk cycle with DUIK, no luck
on Aug 6, 2013 at 10:00:13 pm

Hey Martin,

A good start for learning the walk cycle is Muybridge. If you image search him you'll get fantastic reference. Here's an example.

http://sillydragon.com/muybridge/Plate_0011/Plate_Large_0011.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]