ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

sucking layers in to a point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig hellen
sucking layers in to a point
on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:31:51 am

Hi Guys n Gals

So I have been struggling with particular on a separate thread and i cant get it working so here's a follow up question.

If i wanna suck a load of layers into a point in a spiral vacume motion as if looking down on the central point, how best would i do that, if i have around 60-80 layers (duplicates of 6 original layers)

This needs to be done WITHOUT particular as i just cant get it working right, i think it's my gfx card, but thats a separate discussion.

Please see my mock up showing the motion required.
Ideally i would have the option to have the layers be fixed in their own rotational axis.

Suggestions?

LINK to motion req. screenshot2013-07-11at09.28.11.png

Co-Director Podchains Ltd
Video Producer / Motion graphics designer http://bexmedia.net

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
Re: sucking layers in to a point
on Jul 11, 2013 at 9:49:33 am

Hi,

If the movement towards the centre is fairly smooth, you could parent your layers to a null at the centre, which would rotate to give the circular motion, and then scale the null down to make the layers move in a spiral. If you want the child layers to stay upright and the same scale, you could add a couple of expressions to invert the rotation from the parent null, and compensate for the scaling down.

Alternatively, if you want the motion to look a bit more organic and random, you could look at the Newton script on aescripts.com - version 2 had a magnetism feature which could do what you want.

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jul 11, 2013 at 11:31:17 am

ShapeShifter AE can do that quite easily with no need for layer duplication. Just apply SSAE to each of the 6 layers, use Generator to multiply and offset your instances in a spiral and animate the position and scale.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

craig hellen
on Jul 11, 2013 at 12:13:01 pm

Thanks guys will be tryoing this after lunch, the comp is coming on nicely.

Many thanks for the continued support!

Craig

Co-Director Podchains Ltd
Video Producer / Motion graphics designer http://bexmedia.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]