ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

duplicating a layer with wiggle changes other layers with wiggle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
duplicating a layer with wiggle changes other layers with wiggle
on Jul 11, 2013 at 2:56:37 am

If you have a super simple wiggle script attached to a layer, in my case one augmenting the position keyframes and another on the orientation of a 3D layer wiggle(.35,200);, all is wonderful.
If you then duplicate this layer it's tremendous that the new layer takes on a new wiggle noise automatically and is different than the last. What isn't tremendous is that after you have tweaked the base position keyframes of layer 1, all that is for not since duplicating this layer changes it's wiggle noise pattern, and after you had just spent a bunch of time tweaking the positional keyframes until you liked were it wandered.
If you continue this duplication addiction, there does seem to be point where previously wiggled layers are no longer affected each time you duplicate again, but it's at least 10 layers back.
Why does this happen?, is there any way short of converting the expression to keyframes to keep this from happening on layers where you like the motion created?, and why does it only corrupt wiggles from the last ten or so duplicated duplicates?
Finally, why, sometimes, does the new duplicated layer take on the wiggle noise of the one you had previously tweaked and the old layer now has a new random noise injected into it's wiggle?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: duplicating a layer with wiggle changes other layers with wiggle
on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:33:40 am

Wiggle is based on the layer index number. If you change that, you get a different wiggle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Ashish Gupta
on Jul 11, 2013 at 12:53:39 pm

Steve,

As told already said that wiggle is based on layer's index number ..

If u want a constant wiggle that isn't affected by layer's index have a look at this tutorial:

http://mattrunks.com/en/tutorials/after-effects/advanced-wiggle

Ashish Gupta
Motiongraphics artist and 3d generalist

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 11, 2013 at 1:05:28 pm

Right, of course. Thanks guys. I was just hitting duplicate and going to work on the new layer, that of course popped in above the current one, indexing the original up a notch (or down as the case may be).
I'm now working on the old layer and letting each new duplicate layer be,as I already tweaked the motion of it, when it was the original. So my stack is growing downward.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:49:41 pm

You can also convert the expressions to keyframes. Renders faster too.

And the Lord said, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But I came fifth and all I got was a set of steak knives!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 11, 2013 at 9:35:15 pm

Yes but then you loose the ability to tweak later. The attributes we're wiggling already have a base set of keyframes on them. Once you "make it so" and commit the script to keyframes at 30fps, you can't go back.

I supposed I could link other layers with the base key frames to the layer that's going to wiggle, thereby protecting my hard won animation keyframes, but with the number of layers we're talking about and each one having it's own unique path, that immediately doubles the layer count and then it becomes a logistics issue.

And just to quell the next logical idea, the project didn't warrant programming a particle system.

Thanks for the input guys. Building "down" worked like a charm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]