ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

use ae 2.5d scene as a zbuffer for particular

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
toma euvrie
use ae 2.5d scene as a zbuffer for particular
on Jul 11, 2013 at 2:46:23 am

Hello,
I am working on a project, maybe script, to allow particular tu use the AE 3d scene as a zbuffer pass so the occlusion layer is not limited to 1 anymore and avoid having to have 10 instances of particular to do that. could work with any plug-in that has a zbuffer setting. Buena depth cue does not work at all in CS6 and CC, so have to come up with my own solution.
so far so good, only problem, when rotating the camera, particular does not follow exactly the scene.
Anyone tempted to take a look and help ?
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9h5q4thz9kZb3FpajBFanFhMlk/edit?usp=sharin...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: use ae 2.5d scene as a zbuffer for particular
on Jul 11, 2013 at 3:47:51 pm

Clever approach.

The z-buffer does not update with a changing camera position, because your light in the "stage" composition is not linked to the camera. The camera can move around, but the light stays fixed and thus the shading on the 2.5D scene does not update to reflect the objects' new depths from the camera.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

toma euvrie
on Jul 12, 2013 at 1:55:51 am

hello,
want i meant is, if you pan the camera left or right, yes the shading gets messed up (and you should be right, parenting the camera might resolve some issues), but what is more troublesome, is that the 2.5d layers are moving slower than particular; it is obvious if you do an extreme pan, you'll see particular intersecting with the layers.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 12, 2013 at 4:19:05 pm

[toma euvrie] "but what is more troublesome, is that the 2.5d layers are moving slower than particular; it is obvious if you do an extreme pan, you'll see particular intersecting with the layers."

In addition to not dynamically updating according to camera position, your z-buffer shading is not quite correct for your static setup. This is more obvious when you re-color the particles at the inflection points of the curve:

6260_zbuffercolored.aep.zip

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 12, 2013 at 4:55:08 pm

[Walter Soyka] "In addition to not dynamically updating according to camera position, your z-buffer shading is not quite correct for your static setup. This is more obvious when you re-color the particles at the inflection points of the curve:"

Expanding on this: the Particular system is moving correctly, but it doesn't look like it's moving correctly because your z-buffer and thus the intersections are incorrect.

Take a look at the re-colored AEP I posted. Use the camera orbit tool to move from your camera view to a more top-down view and you'll see what I mean.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

zbuffer-explanation-pic.jpg [link]

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

toma euvrie
on Jul 17, 2013 at 8:46:37 am

hello, sorry for the late reply, somehow i don't receive notification when a new message is posted in this thread.
anyway, i don't have much time to investigate right now, abut will keep this thread updated as soon as i start working on it again.
thanks again for your interest in this project!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]