ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trim paths on compound path test

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa InserraTrim paths on compound path test
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 5:25:48 pm

Looking for a handwriting effect, but am using a script font so write-on doesn't work seamlessly. Converting the font to shapes or masks leaves compound paths in d's and e's. The holes fill in with trim paths regardless of merge path operation.
Work around?
Thanks

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Trim paths on compound path test
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:47:11 pm

Doing a hand-writing effect uses a pretty standard technique(though there are few different methods to accomplish it). Creating some kind of track matte to reveal the text.

Here's an older(but still relevant) tutorial on how to create this effect; Animating a Signature in AE

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Lisa InserraRe: Trim paths on compound path test
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:42:18 pm

Yes. I've done the stroke effect, however the script that I'm revealing is a pen stroke that has variable widths as if with a feather pen. This makes it very difficult to do the stroke. I've also tried making the stroke and adding a track matte of the actual font so the stroke reveals only the matte of the font, however because of the variable width of the pen stroke, the wider pixel strokes may be too thick for some parts revealing areas of the next letter before they would actually appear. I am using Ribbon font.
Any further help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Trim paths on compound path test
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 8:45:10 pm

Don't use Stroke, but use the Write-On effect instead. You can animate brush widths with it.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lisa InserraRe: Trim paths on compound path test
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:08:12 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. You've helped with projects in the past.
Yes, I've tried the write-on effect. It's a painfully slow process when you get to the cross-strokes on a script font with variable stroke widths...practically have to keyframe every frame. I was hoping for a more automated approach.
Alternatively, I tried using a matte layer of the font hoping I could just swash a fat brush over the whole thing, but again, the fat brush reveals to much of the letter at one time...as with a lower case "t". If the brush is too fat for the downstroke it will reveal the cross stroke too soon.
I've looked all over for a way to do this, but everyone seems to be having the same problem with script fonts. The fastest way I found was to break up the letters into separate masks...but if there's a way to do this more quickly I'd really appreciate knowing the method.
L

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Trim paths on compound path test
by on Jul 13, 2013 at 12:08:55 am

Well, you're right: animating script text is a right royal pain. I figure it will take about 3-4 hours to animate the typical signature. The trick lies in knowing where to put the mask path vertices, which will translate into keyframes. You can then adjust the brush size accordingly.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]