ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Putting a video inside a specific shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley McPikePutting a video inside a specific shape
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 6:01:52 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me figure how to how to play certain videos in the shape of virginia. I was hoping to play different clips of broll but have all the clips be in the shape of virginia. Does that make sense? Is it possible? Thanks!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Putting a video inside a specific shape
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 7:45:56 pm

Create your shape of Virginia, use a solid and mask it, a shape layer or even clip art(with an alpha channel). This will be your top layer. Make another comp(Video Final) and edit your video in another composition, add dissolves color effects...

Now bring in your Video Final and make it the bottom layer and change the track matte of the layer to alpha matte. done.

You should get something like this: 6238_virginafolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Ashley McPikeRe: Putting a video inside a specific shape
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 8:27:43 pm

Thanks so much! Thanks what I was looking to do! Quick question though, is there anyway to add let's say 5 different videos into the virginia shape at once, having them be side by side instead of one video after another video.

Thanks so much!

Ashley

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Putting a video inside a specific shape
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 8:42:42 pm

You need to create a separate comp where you position the videos to fill the shape of Virginia. Use the layer of the map on top with opacity down to 20 % as reference. You can either have straight edges to the video (like tiles) or blend the video layers in by applying feathered masks.
then take this comp and do what John suggested.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Putting a video inside a specific shape
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 8:45:45 pm

You would have to scale(press "S" to open the scale tool) down each video and move them into position.

Seems you are pretty new to AE, so when you get time you should check out: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC).

There are some real good links to free online training that will get you up and running and build a good AE foundation.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Abdullah AddamRe: Putting a video inside a specific shape
by on Feb 25, 2016 at 1:48:40 pm

Thanks for the link!

Return to posts index

Olivia DrakeRe: Putting a video inside a specific shape
by on Feb 22, 2016 at 4:55:16 pm

OMG! Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]