ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Brush size in Stroke FX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce GaberBrush size in Stroke FX
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:00:15 pm

Trying to "write on" some Tibetan calligraphy using the stroke effect. The maximum setting, 50, is not quit enough to mask/reveal the calligraphy. Tried reducing the scale of the image, but the brush setting simply scales (ie setting 50 does not mean 50 pixels). Also tried setting two strokes, but that just got messy and confusing. Tried a closed mask; the stroke then (understandably) follows the direction in which the mask was drawn--interesting, but not for this application.

As always thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Brush size in Stroke FX
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 7:47:55 pm

Do the first thing again. then paste the mask to a solid. link the solid to the text and scale it back up. If the solid ain't continuously rasterized it will add up it's scale to the effect. Set the solid to the text's track matte.

Return to posts index

Bruce GaberRe: Brush size in Stroke FX
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 7:12:47 pm

Thanks Cassius

I realized a couple of things from your reply. First the brush size is relative, not absolute. So I went back and reduced the size of my image. That solved the problem of not being able to fill the image with the stroke. Second what you said, and my experience of getting an exponentially complicated , lead me to break up the 14 calligraphic strokes into separate PS layers. Once imported into AE each could be managed completely independently--complicated, but linearly so. Much easier. Many thanks

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Brush size in Stroke FX
by on Dec 14, 2013 at 7:02:28 pm

The After Effects CC (12.2) update increases the maximum size of the brush for the Stroke and Write-on effects to 200 pixels (from the previous maximum of 50 pixels).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved