ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

jpeg goes blank when placed into composition?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Grant
jpeg goes blank when placed into composition?!
on Jul 7, 2013 at 8:29:09 pm

Hey guys, Im using after effects cs6, so far in my animation I have just used one jpeg and animated some text which works fine but I have since tried to add other still jpegs into the timeline and they are just appearing as white?
I also had another problem when importing a jpeg sequence I wanted to change the frame rate ect I tried to do this but again the whole thing went blank in the composition.
I am pretty new to all this so maybe Im just missing something obvious but Ive made a ken burns style animation before and had no problems.
Any help would be appreciate.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: jpeg goes blank when placed into composition?!
on Jul 8, 2013 at 1:22:05 pm

Can you provide a screen shot or two of the problem? Ideally it'd be good to see the timeline, your comp viewer and the project panel with one of the problematic JPEGs selected.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Kim Grant
on Jul 8, 2013 at 1:44:06 pm

this first image is of my initial jpeg working fine

Now as you see in this one you can see my jpeg on the layer but when placed onto the timeline its blank
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:25:29 pm

I think you're seeing your JPEG but only a tiny portion of it. Your image size is over 4,000 X 2,000. If you notice, the size percentage in your viewer is only 4%. If you adjust the scale of your JPEG, you should see the mailbox appear.

That said, working with an image that large, unless you need to scale in really close, is extra overhead you don't need. You'll get better performance with an image closer to your final output size.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 9, 2013 at 12:41:24 am

I think Jeff is right on target. Your composition's resolution is much smaller than the JPEG so you're only seeing a central (all white) portion of the image. You can use one of the Layer > Transform > Fit To Comp options as a starting point for getting your image the right size (note that the "Fit To Comp" option may scale your image different amounts on the X and Y axis, I generally stick to one of the other two options there).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Kim Grant
on Jul 9, 2013 at 10:44:18 am

I appreciate the replies but what I dont understand is this

As you can see the first jpeg worked fine but then when I drag that same jpeg into my timeline its a lot larger and you cant see it, I just dont understand what has changed that has made it change the size of my jpegs.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:39:29 pm

Your JPEGs aren't changing size. After Effects brings them in at actual size. If your composition is smaller than the image, you'll only see a portion of the image unless you scale it down. Think of it as looking through a small window at a large painting. Unless you shrink the painting to fit in the window you'll never see all of it at once. And if you put an even larger picture on top of the first painting, you'll see even less of it.

Looking at your image sizes, 1.jpg looks to be about three times larger, dimensions-wise, than boxshutnomail.jpg so you'll see different portions of each image when dropped into the same comp. Post a screen shot of your comp settings dialog box (CTL-K) and the Image Size dialog box from Photoshop (ALT-CTL-I) for your two JPEGs and we'll see what's up.

---
It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]