ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ray-Tracing on AMD GPU in AE CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Calamita
Ray-Tracing on AMD GPU in AE CC
on Jul 6, 2013 at 12:42:17 am

Hi everyone!

I have After Effects CC and I heard that it supports OpenGL acceleration for ray-tracing. My computer has an AMD 7770 Ghz Edition GPU and After Effects still doesn't allow me to accelerate with it. Can anyone help? This was the main reason I upgraded to CC.

Thanks in advance!

-Luke

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Ray-Tracing on AMD GPU in AE CC
on Jul 6, 2013 at 1:53:10 am

[Luke Calamita] "I have After Effects CC and I heard that it supports OpenGL acceleration for ray-tracing. My computer has an AMD 7770 Ghz Edition GPU and After Effects still doesn't allow me to accelerate with it. Can anyone help? This was the main reason I upgraded to CC."

I am sorry to have to tell you, Luke, but you heard wrong. Ae's ray-tracer is only GPU-accelerated by CUDA on specific NVIDIA cards. Without a supported (or unsupported but manually added) NVIDIA card, the ray-tracer will run unaccelerated on the CPU.

Starting with CS6, the way Ae draws to the screen is OpenGL-accelerated, as are fast previews and the Cartoon effect. This is unchanged in CC.

See GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features | CC, CS6 [link] for more.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Luke Calamita
on Jul 6, 2013 at 1:58:47 am

Sad news, but thanks for the reply.

-Luke

Return to posts index

Mohan Rawat
on Feb 26, 2014 at 1:46:11 am

Can you suggest some cost effective card to run AE......My mac early 2011 with AMD radeon 1GB is not working because of using Creative CLoud Adobe's AE. Thinking of assembling a window based desktop.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]