ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to Match/Adjust Mixed Colour Space Footage: Of Video 16/235 & PC 0/255

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikél LeyvaNeed to Match/Adjust Mixed Colour Space Footage: Of Video 16/235 & PC 0/255
by on Jul 5, 2013 at 3:41:31 pm

Footage info: ProRes444. Am working in AFX CS6.

I need to match base black on 2 sources of footage so that the two blend well. See the image embedded here:

The foreground footage (the people) is at black 16, the background (the lake) is at black 0 (zero) = which is why they looks so different.

-This film will 99.9% of the time be viewed on computer screens.
-Though currently the majority of the film has been graded to video black 16/235

Questions:

1. What's the best way to convert colour spaces (preferably in After Effects).

2. Would you suggest converting all the video from video colour space 16/235 to to PC 0/255 since it will be seen in PC's mostly. Or how does one export for online viewing?

Thanks in advance.

Mikél

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Need to Match/Adjust Mixed Colour Space Footage: Of Video 16/235 & PC 0/255
by on Jul 5, 2013 at 6:28:17 pm

[Mikél Leyva] "1. What's the best way to convert colour spaces (preferably in After Effects)."

You can use the Interpret Footage dialog for the 16/235 clips to assign the Rec. 709 HDTV 16-235 color profile. That should fix black/white levels.

The Utility > Color Profile Converter effect is another option but would need to be applied to each layer of footage that needs to be effected while the Interpret Footage dialog will affect all instances of that footage in the project.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Need to Match/Adjust Mixed Colour Space Footage: Of Video 16/235 & PC 0/255
by on Jul 5, 2013 at 8:30:34 pm

Another option is the Levels effect. Regardless of which method is used, it is a good idea to increase project bit depth to 16 or 32 bpc so that the YCC color will be converted to RGB more smoothly.

Return to posts index

Mikél LeyvaRe: Need to Match/Adjust Mixed Colour Space Footage: Of Video 16/235 & PC 0/255
by on Jul 8, 2013 at 2:24:47 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

More footage info:
The people footage is in ProRes444
The water footage behind them is in RED Raw format.

Darby, what would be the best Colour Settings / Working Space, for the whole project? As I see that I need to set that before I even am able to assign anything in the Interpret Footage options for each clip. Sorry if this is obvious, it's new to me in AFX. Again, this film will mostly be viewed online.

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]