ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making slow motion WITH a simulated light flicker?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen PickeringMaking slow motion WITH a simulated light flicker?
by on Jul 3, 2013 at 4:38:08 pm

I see lots of posts about removing the light flicker from slow motion but I would like to take some GoPro footage shot at 120fps and slow it down even further in ae, then add the slow motion light flicker.

I can't find the scene online, but I recall the Fight Club having some awesome scenes with a flicker effect during the slow motion shots. Obviously they were shot with film, but can I simulate this somehow?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Making slow motion WITH a simulated light flicker?
by on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:46:09 pm

[Stephen Pickering] "...I recall the Fight Club having some awesome scenes with a flicker effect during the slow motion shots. Obviously they were shot with film, but can I simulate this somehow?"

It was either shot that way, requiring planning in advance to get the desired look.... or it was an effects shot and also required planning in advance.

I doubt very much that once the footage was in the can the director said, "Hey you know what would be cool? To have some flashes in this slo-mo shot!"

In other words, it gets a lot tougher, depending on precisely what you want to accomplish. Thus, you need to describe IN DETAIL the look you want to achieve.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stephen PickeringRe: Making slow motion WITH a simulated light flicker?
by on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:11:54 pm

Thanks Dave,

I'm sure they were effects shots with much pre-planning and that it wasn't a mistake or later added in post. It was probably shot at an overcranked frame rate timed specifically to (what I guess to be a fast strobe for lighting). I know I won't get near the same result doing it in post but hopefully I get something "neat" at least. I'm trying to track down the Fight Club scene to review it myself and hopefully *show* exactly what I'm looking for- with the understanding that it won't be the same.

Now that I think about it I'm guessing it's as simply as doing a strobe effect in AE... I'll try that out.

Thanks again Dave,

-Stephen Pickering

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:20:00 pm

Here's kind of an example at 2:30

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:14:41 pm

Whoops! didn't see the clip. AFTER you have slo-mo, you ccan do that specific effect by putting a black solid above the slo-mo clip and using an expression to animate its opacity.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 5:39:01 am

Thanks Dave. I ended up doing exactly what you suggested. I tried the strobe effect but it didn't give me the control I wanted. Still not sure if I like the final video but I'll revisit it later and see if I like it better the way it was without the flicker.

Thanks again for your time!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2013 at 7:37:14 pm

In your plans for the shot, please keep two very important words in mind: "shadows" and "source".

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]