ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

25fps footage in a 30 fps comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
criis daw
25fps footage in a 30 fps comp
on Jun 29, 2013 at 7:53:58 am

we have been working with 25 fps footage placed in a 30 fps comp.

Is this likely to cause any issues on playback ? it looks fine when rendered and played on a computer but id is possible that this might not always be the case.

Also what is the best way to deal with this for future comps? I am right in thinking that if we interpret the footage to be 30fps it will be fine but play a little faster.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 25fps footage in a 30 fps comp
on Jun 30, 2013 at 3:21:47 am

Oh, I wouldn't do that. It's a very bad idea indeed to mix frame rates like that. If you need 25 fps converted to 29.97, you would be well-advised to use frame rate conversion software like Twixtor.

If you leave it as it is, someone on the receiving end will hsve something to ssy about it, I bet.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

criis daw
on Jun 30, 2013 at 5:45:10 am

thanks for your advice. I thought as much . especially having 25fps footage in a 30 fps comp.

would interpreting the footage at 30 fps cause problems though ? wont it just play a bit more quickly ?
in this case it wont really matter if it does.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Jun 30, 2013 at 9:23:46 pm

Yes, interpreting 25fps footage as 30fps will cause it to play faster. There should not be any technical problems, but it might create a perceptual issue depending on the nature of the footage. For example, increasing the frame rate might look odd if the clip includes people or high motion. For a low motion or establishing shot, though, it will probably look fine.

Other options include repeating, blending, or interpolating new frames.

Return to posts index

criis daw
on Jun 30, 2013 at 10:22:17 pm

yup it looks a bit odd on some shots . it might just have to do though

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]