ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Smoothing a bumpy pan

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Arco
Smoothing a bumpy pan
on Jun 28, 2013 at 11:36:33 am

I'm trying to smooth out a bumpy horizontal pan shot. The camera was likely on a monopod and follows the right-to-left action rather well until about the middle of the shot. Then it does what I would describe as a "stop-jerk-resume," mostly horizontal movement. I tried warp stabilizer, but it seems to just go crazy at the bumpy part.

I can track the background, but then what do I do next to smooth out the pan?

Jim

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Smoothing a bumpy pan
on Jun 28, 2013 at 3:12:10 pm

In this video, I use the Warp Stabilizer effect to fix exactly the kind of shot that you're trying to fix. It might help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: Smoothing a bumpy pan
on Jun 30, 2013 at 12:49:08 pm

Thanks Todd, for the tutorial.

The shot I need to fix is panning from right-to-left. A person is walking towards the left, getting closer to the camera until he nearly fills the frame, then continues as the camera follows him. Unfortunately, the "stop-jerk-resume" occurs when the person is closest to the camera and mostly fills the frame. That's probably what is confusing the warp-stabilizer.

I can get a good track on various points in the background, but I don't know how to use that information to smooth out the shot.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]