ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC & C4D intergration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
AE CC & C4D intergration
on Jun 28, 2013 at 11:21:22 am

I have a 3D model of a MBP and have attached a psd logo onto the screen of the model. The MBP is on an angle. I want to bring on different images on the screen when back in AE. Before I think the way to do it was to copy the co ordinates from C4D and then translate them back in AE??
I am using the Cineware link here so the project is kind of locked to the pipeline.
How should I tackle this, should I setup an object buffer for the screen and then try and track matte the different images onto the screen but because the screen is at an angle that wouldn't work?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE CC & C4D intergration
on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:55:34 pm

[Marc Lucas] "How should I tackle this, should I setup an object buffer for the screen and then try and track matte the different images onto the screen but because the screen is at an angle that wouldn't work?"

In C4D, add an external compositing tag to the screen. (Optionally set the external compositing to be a solid at the same size the screen is.)

In Ae CC's CINEWARE effect, under Commands, look for "CINEMA 4D Scene Data" and click the "Extract" button. This will give you an object in Ae's 3D space that you can shift-parent your screen replacement layer to. You may need to adjust its orientation, but after that it'll follow along perfectly.

I'd set up an object buffer as a track matte, too, so the screen will be properly obscured if you rotate the MBP model.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
Re: AE CC & C4D intergration
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:26:47 pm

Thanks Walter

All sorted!

Return to posts index