ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What are the possible problems I might have changing video FPS?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Owens
What are the possible problems I might have changing video FPS?
on Jun 26, 2013 at 8:50:41 am

My digital camera advertises as being able to shoot 60FPS. However, after researching the topic, I found some cameras don't actually shoot 60FPS but instead 60i. When I import footage into After Effects (after making sure the camera is recording at highest frame rate and 1080p), the footage is seen at 29.97FPS. I don't know if that is something that I have changed, or if the footage I have taken is actually 60FPS. All I know is that I changed the composition settings to 59.97FPS and the footage plays back MUCH smoother. Is there any possible problems I might run into if I continue changing composition settings to 60FPS?

Maybe I don't understand FPS correctly.

Please help

Return to posts index

Jovan Strel
Re: What are the possible problems I might have changing video FPS?
on Jun 26, 2013 at 8:08:05 pm

the default fps when you load footage is 29.97FPS. if the footage is shoot with frame rate od 60 it will still load as 29.97 when you import it into after effects for the first time. You can change that in the preference.

but if you wont to change framerate of the footage individually right click onto footage in project window and go interpret footage and set frame rate to be 60.

framerate is the number of pictures you will see during one second.

"Is there any possible problems I might run into if I continue changing composition settings to 60FPS?"

hmmm, my advice is try different frame rates, just to develop the feeling for that. 60 fps is mainly used for making a slow time effect

i'm guessing you are just exploring the program, if you are using 60fps footage google time remapping in after feects- it will help you understand this subject and you will be able to make speed up/slow down time effect

Return to posts index

Jovan Strel
on Jun 26, 2013 at 8:20:47 pm

so yeah, if your footage is 60fps and you set to be 29.97 or anything less than 60, the footage will appear slower

if set higher the footage will upear to be faster

it all depends what do you want to with it -

as for compostion framerate, if you are again exploring the program keep it same as your footage - if you are planing to do something specific with footage like show it on youtube or tv screen than you would need to change it

Return to posts index

Jack Owens
on Jun 30, 2013 at 4:45:20 am

Thanks a lot for the reply! It really helped me understand it more. I was mainly concerned about making slow motion effects using Twixtor, and 29.97 FPS just wasn't working well.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]