ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Preview and Disk Cache question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy BatsonPreview and Disk Cache question
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 8:31:56 pm

I have a MBP retina with 16gigs(the max) of RAM and the 750gig of SSD system drive. I connect a RAID 1 thunderbolt drive with 2 SATA 7200RPM disks for DSLR, XDCAM and GOPRO footage. I sacrifice some speed for this but I make it up in knowing my I'm 100% redundant right out of the gate. Thus far I've been able to run at least 4 simultaneous streams of these multiple types HD footage from this RAID in a multi-cam edit in PP CS6-CC. It also serves as a time machine backup for my system drive. I have not tested with any 2K or 4K cinema style footage. I hope to soon, but wouldn't be shooting any multi-cam shoots with RED or BMD cameras anyhow. I'm hoping that this system can handle at least a RAW 2K ISO recorded stream in the near future.

For After Effects CC, I use the same drive for any footage I bring in but typically I'm using AE to create motion graphics and 3D composites. I currently use my system drive for my RAM preview and disk cache files. I'm wondering if attaching a thunderbolt SSD for the preview and disk cache would be more beneficial? Would that increase my performance? Or is the internal system SSD drive best option for this?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Andy Batson

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Preview and Disk Cache question
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 11:45:29 pm

> Or is the internal system SSD drive best option for this?

The disk cache should be on the fastest disk over the fastest bus. The internal connection is still faster than Thunderbolt.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Andy BatsonRe: Preview and Disk Cache question
by on Jun 26, 2013 at 12:48:11 pm

Ok great! I figured that was the case. Thanks for the iteration.

Andy Batson

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved