ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text Animation: Jump/appear from line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin HuntText Animation: Jump/appear from line
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:18:12 am

Hi Creative Cow Friends,

Can you take a look at this YouTube video and give me some tips on how create the animation where text appears to jump from the line and fall out of the line from :07-:10 in this video?

I would really appreciate the jump start.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Text Animation: Jump/appear from line
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:04:56 pm

Hi, Type in your text, then break it appart into words. (you can duplicate it's layer as many times you got words and edit/delete to keep one with each word) Then draw masks around each word (q is the shortcut). The base of the mask should reach the top of the line.

Then set a keyframe for that mask and for the layer's position, go a few frames further in time and use the pan tool (y), to move the word down while keeping the mask in place (holding shift should keep you on the Y axis). Then sequence the layers in time.

That's the basic of it to make the phrase fall into the line.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Text Animation: Jump/appear from line
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:16:27 pm

Thant could be done a few different ways, but what I would do to create that animation, would be to create my 2 solids layer first(mask it, place it at an angle), one black, one red and set up your background. In the example you could do that using a red solid, black solid and a stroke effect on one of them.

Next create your text and place it in it's final position. Open up the text and add Animate>Position. Using the new position animator properties, move the text so down so that it will be below the line. Open up "Range Selector", then "Advanced" and change "Based On" to Words. Now animate the range selector "Start" property to get the text to move up. Lastly duplicate the red solid, place it above the text layer and change the text layer's Track Matte to "alpha"

To get the layers to move down at the end requires you to change your last keyframe to a hold keyframe(shift+alt+H)and set a keyframme for the Advance>Mode to "Add". Then when you want it to move back down in the same way"start to finish. Change the Mode to "Subtract" and animate the start property again.

Being that this is pretty beginner stuff, I'm going to suggest you check out Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC), if you check out Andrew Devis's tutorials(linked there) he has a bunch on text animations.

I made an example project of what you are trying to do though that you can take a look at if my explanation was unclear.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved