ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

maintain constant stroke thickness in 3D environement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fadi Baqimaintain constant stroke thickness in 3D environement
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 4:00:41 pm

I have a bunch of shapes layers in a 3D environment, let's say circles strung up on a thread made by having filled circle layers on a stroked path.

When I push in with the camera, I want the filled shapes to react to the 3D movement, but I want the stroke of the "thread" to stay the same thickness.

I'm not sure how I would achieve that. I'm guessing it would have to be an expression that measures the distance between the stroked path and the camera and adjusts the stroke accordingly.

Can anyone help with that?

Is there a different solution that I am overlooking?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: maintain constant stroke thickness in 3D environement
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:08:29 am

layer style>stroke won't obey 3d camera space, so you may be able to create your stroke with layer styles.

since you can't have a layer style stroke on a layer with nothing opaque (ie, fill and stroke set to zero), you may need to have a small shape layer stroke on (in the shape properties), and set the layer style stroke position to 'center' to cover it up.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: maintain constant stroke thickness in 3D environement
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:15:44 pm

Wouldn't be easier to just precompose the shape layer into a high resolution comp?

An expression would be something like this (pasted in the width property, adjust values as needed):

courtesy of this page it WON'T be really constant, but you can adjust it to make it seem as if.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved