ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 Magic Bullet Looks problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Walker
AE CS6 Magic Bullet Looks problem
on Jun 22, 2013 at 5:25:01 pm

Suddenly I am getting odd color artifacts when rendering or viewing clips with Magic Bullet Looks applied. This is happening only at full-resolution. If I view or render at half-res, no problem. AE CS6 11.0.2 (also happening on a fresh install of AE CC 12.0 and the new Magic Bullet Suite installer). OSX 10.7.5, Mac Pro 12-core, GTX 570.

The artifacts appear no matter which "module" I use within Looks, ie Vignette, Soft Focus, Gradient, etc.

The artifacts range from what resembles colors inverted, to completely red frames, to completely black frames.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: AE CS6 Magic Bullet Looks problem
on Jun 22, 2013 at 9:42:05 pm

what footage are you using - is it a highly compressed h264?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Robert Walker
on Jun 22, 2013 at 9:49:04 pm

Red RAW .r3d

Rob Walker
Walker-Fitzgibbon TV & Film
Miami

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 23, 2013 at 11:06:22 am

Hmmm, never had this issue with RED footage. Is your project color space 32bit?
If you render out a few frames (from the point in the footage where the issue occurs) in a ProRes or DNxHD format and try applying MB Looks, do you get the same result?
Also, are you working HD 1080, 2k or 4k? If 4k, then it may be that you are maxing out your graphics card.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Robert Walker
on Jun 23, 2013 at 1:26:46 pm

16-bit color space, 1080p The graphics card is a 2.5gb GTX 570 so it's not likely that it is being maxed out.

To troubleshoot further, I opened one of the problem clips in a fresh project and comp; applied Looks to it and it was fine. Thinking it might have to do with the way the effects are stacked, I turned them all off on the first problem clip; turned on Looks by itself and it was fine. Turned on the rest of the effects one by one and everything worked fine. Odd but a relief.

I rendered out that section, and repeated the process clip-by-clip until I got the whole comp rendered out, albeit in pieces. Later, after I worked on a different project and then returned to the problem project, it crashed as soon as I opened it. To get it to work I had to open it with Caps Lock on, turn off Looks, turn off Caps Lock and only then turn Looks back on.

We'll see what Red Giant have to say about it once the weekend is over; I did file a trouble ticket with them and they are famously very responsive with tech support. I will report back any new findings.

Rob Walker
Walker-Fitzgibbon TV & Film
Miami

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]