ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Awfull loss in quality after video upload!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg howellAwfull loss in quality after video upload!
by on Jun 22, 2013 at 2:48:28 pm

Hi Guys,

I am at breaking point right now, and desperately need your help before i lose my mind!

I have spent an absolutely unbelievable amount of time creating, and trying to upload my showreel to vimeo from After Effects. I have tried almost everything to retain the quality after upload, but cannot seem to fix the last part of the video. I dont know a great deal about video compression and related issues, but i have done my research and still feel that every attempt is futile. Please, please, help me fix this; it's very important to me and i dont know what else i can do.

Why am i getting blocks of colour after the shatter effect at 59 secs?..

here's the link.. https://vimeo.com/44062674

many thanks!

Greg

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Awfull loss in quality after video upload!
by on Jun 22, 2013 at 5:41:16 pm

So, the video looks fine when played back on your computer, but then the version that Vimeo plays back after upload is bad?

What kind of video are you feeding Vimeo? Are you using the Vimeo encoding presets in Adobe Media Encoder? (If not, you should be.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

greg howellRe: Awfull loss in quality after video upload!
by on Jun 22, 2013 at 5:55:11 pm

hi there,

Thanks for your reply! I'm not using media encoder, as its not working. I am exporting directly out of After Effects. I've tried vimeos recommended settings (1280 x 720, 5mbps ect..). most of the video is fine, but i get these horrible bands of rings for my vignette, and at one point in the video there's a few frames of random blocks of colour (like artifacts). to make matters worse, the artifacts arnt there once the video is uploaded (it looks fine), then ill return to the video an hour later, and the quality has fallen apart!- how is that even possible? is this a data rate issue? if so how do i reslove it?

..and yes, its fine before uploading. I also get the same thing on youtube too, just not as bad.

id appreciate any suggestions.

thanks.

Greg

Return to posts index

Matt GaluszewskiRe: Awfull loss in quality after video upload!
by on Jun 22, 2013 at 9:55:17 pm

I viewed your video and it appears fine to me. That is when I view the HD version that Vimeo created from your upload.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Awfull loss in quality after video upload!
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 12:58:54 am

I'm not seeing anything significant, either. Before troubleshooting the encoder settings, try viewing the Vimeo movie on a few different devices (preferably with IPS screens). Also download the file and look for problem areas frame-by-frame in Premiere, After Effects, or even QuickTime. If you don't see any issues in the file, you might have a hardware issue. However, if you see problems please take a screen capture and post here.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2013 at 1:08:32 pm

This is what's adding to the frustration; it looks completley fine now, but then ill watch the same video in an hour or so, and one part the movie (a fade from one solid colour to another in the background) will just look terrible. You know those blocks of artifacts you see sometimes?.. A similiar thing happens on youtube too. Why would it look fine now, then fall apart an hour later? - it doesn't make any sense.

also i have a quick unrelated question - is the animation lossless codec in after effects truely lossless? i mean is there any loss of information at all. And will it export a 16 bit project, or just 8 bit as default?

thanks!

Greg

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2013 at 2:01:11 pm

it's started to happen again. its no where near as bad as it usually is, but here's an example..

file:///Users/greghowell/Desktop/artifacts%20example

..notice the streaks of colour coming from his arms.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Awfull loss in quality after video upload!
by on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:03:59 pm

I downloaded all three of the Vimeo files and they look fine. There is some light banding in the mobile file within the green background at 00:16-00:19. This is to be expected given the low bitrate. Other than that all three files look good. It seems likely the problem is due to external factors (device hardware, media player, connectivity, host server, etc.) rather than the encoded file.

Return to posts index

Justin CrowellRe: Awfull loss in quality after video upload!
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 6:44:06 pm

You have to use the "IMAGE UPLOAD" button to get your image to show on the forums.

I'm guessing that your problem is actually just a result of viewing the video in HD and SD. Vimeo and youtube both do multiple encodes of your video for different devices. That'd explain why it looks differently at different moments. Try experimenting with the frame size options when viewing in youtube.

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Awfull loss in quality after video upload!
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 9:18:28 pm

[greg howell] "also i have a quick unrelated question - is the animation lossless codec in after effects truely lossless? i mean is there any loss of information at all. And will it export a 16 bit project, or just 8 bit as default?"

Animation codec at 100% is mathematically lossless for 8-bit. It does not support 16-bit.

To render a 16-bit comp losslessly, I recommend using an image sequence (DPX, PNG, PSD, TIFF).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]