ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg JonesAE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Jun 21, 2013 at 4:11:36 pm

I noticed that in AE CC, my NVIDIA GTX680 isn't enabled for Cuda for RayTracing. I thought with CC you didn't have to manually enable this any more. It's not listed under the text file, even though I see the K5000 is now listed. Do I have to manually add this card or is there some new setting I'm not seeing.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Jun 21, 2013 at 9:58:58 pm

> I thought with CC you didn't have to manually enable this any more.

You're thinking of Premiere Pro.

That said, we're going to follow their lead in the near future and allow you to use untested and unsupported cards that meet certain minimum requirements. Untested and unsupported will still mean just that---but you'll be able to more easily take matters into your own hands and defy our recommendations with whatever card you want to try. We are aiming to make such a feature available later this year. No promises, but that is the target.

Also, the GTX 680MX is the next card that I, personally, am testing to add to the official white list. In fact, If I weren't typing this to you, I'd be in the lab now working on this. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Greg JonesRe: AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:10:11 pm

Thanks for the response! Looking forward to using all the CC apps. Also lookin forward to trying out the Cinema 4d back and forth in AE.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 9:16:54 am

Excellent Todd.... the Nvidia 680 mac edition was purchased by a TON of us mac AE pros to help keep our systems snappy enough.

I 'manually' activated it in CS6... not one issue. Im not a fan of manually doing anything so im nervous to try it again with CC... Its fair to allow us to use it at our own 'bombing' risk... to block us in any way would appear hostile..

us Mac AE users feel like step kids vs our windows AE users over the years performance wise. So im really glad to hear your hands on attempts...

I would modestly BEG.... LOL... you look at the 2 gb 680mx card in the 2012 iMac as well which I believe would be the other main machine pros turned too to buy time until the new mac pro is released.

Its plenty powerful enough and appears very closely related to the 680gtx the performance of the gtx 680 using sapphire plugs, Monsters gt, is AMAZING and stable in my use at 1080p work.... fyi....

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
http://supernovavfx.com

Return to posts index

Zeno CostaRe: AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:17:30 am

Todd, this is welcoming news for After Effects users. A very significant step forward. Thanks for sharing this advanced news with the community here.

I know none of this is "official" yet, but any speculation on whether this update will also apply to a future AE CS 6 update?

Thanks again for this update!!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 15, 2013 at 6:01:48 am

No, this change will not apply to any CS6 updates.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Brian ChaffeeRe: AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Jul 15, 2013 at 12:54:32 pm

Todd,

Back on July 21st, you mentioned you would be personally testing the GTX680MX, 2GB video card, with over 1500 CUDA cores (Quadro 4000 has only 448 cores) which resides inside the newest iMac.

How have your tests been going and when do you expect to add it to the 'white list' for After Effects? Will this include Premiere Pro as well? I am on the cloud using primarily CC versions of both.

Speaking with a representative at adobe, they informed me that the 680MX is a gaming card whereas the Quadro series is designed to handle the computations of AE, Maya, etc.

Brian

Return to posts index

by on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:06:06 pm

> Speaking with a representative at adobe, they informed me that the 680MX is a gaming card whereas the Quadro series is designed to handle the computations of AE, Maya, etc.

Who? I need to follow up with anyone who is giving you bad information and suggesting that you not use GTX 6xx cards with After Effects.

Regarding when we might add the GTX 680MX to the white list: I'd estimate sometime in the next few months. We're targeting a release in September, and I'm optimistic about adding this card and several others to the whitelist at that time.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:33:39 pm

Actually, by the csr's routing, I ended up in India. I will watch for the card on the list.

Thanks.

Brian

Return to posts index

Jonathan PerkinsRe: AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Aug 16, 2013 at 6:58:20 pm

Hi Todd,

Wondering whether you have returned from graphics-card land with any exciting updates for mac users... :)

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:06:29 pm

I've tested with the GTX 680MX and GTX 675MX (iMacs) and added those to the list of cards that the next version of After Effects CC will use for CUDA acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer. This update should be released in late September, if all goes according to plan.

I'm in the process of testing some other cards for that release, too.

Also, be sure to read my previous comments on this thread about us enabling the use of untested, unsupported GPUs. That feature is looking pretty good, and I have confidence in us being able to release that in late September, too.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2013 at 10:59:08 pm

Several cards have been added to the list of cards that After Effects will use for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer in the After Effects CC (12.1) update, coming in October.

See this page for details:
http://adobe.ly/AE_CC_12dot1_details

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Patrick SimonRe: AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Sep 15, 2013 at 12:51:43 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I'm working in an advertising agency in Paris, and have a little question.

In the new whitelist, I see the GTX 680 MX but not the GTX 680.
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/09/after-effects-cc-12-1-whats-new...

We don't have iMac but just Mac Pro at our agency, does the GTX 680 (the EVGA Mac Edition) works on AE CC?

Sorry, but my english is not very good, maybe I did not understand this article… (maybe the GTX 680 works on untested and unsupported mode, but works still?

Thanks a lot for your support

Patrick

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2013 at 5:29:12 pm

That page says that we're still testing GPUs for After Effects CC (12.1). I have a Mac Edition GTX 680 on my desk right now, and it's the next one that I'm testing.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Oct 31, 2013 at 8:52:18 pm

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which is now available to all Creative Cloud members.

This update includes many GPUs added to the whitelist for CUDA acceleration.

For complete details, see this page.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:55:07 am

680mx is approved, just in time for the newest mac gpu with twice the vram to come out? Possibly sometime in '14 the newer card maybe officially supported?

Not to mention thanking Adobe for the latest CC update that doesn't allow the user to even open AE. Way to go guys.

Lightwave or 3DS Max, here I come.

AE could be a pro app if Adobe wasn't involved.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:23:51 am

Just did the update and AE CC won't work. Have to wonder about you guys. You let updates go out that cause havoc and your only answers are, "Have you tried this, or that?"

Meanwhile it takes 6-months to test a gpu card that is built with the very technology you tout (CUDA) because you want to make sure of it's compatibility?

I am grateful I do not understand your mentality.

Return to posts index

Rob AlexanderRe: AE CC and GTX680 Mac Cuda Support
by on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:26:14 pm

AE isn't recognising the GTX680 in my Mac Pro (it's a custom build system and might be a flashed PC version of the EVGA), its identifier is NVIDIA GeForce GTX680. AE tells me that CUDA ray tracing is turned off for my card.

Do I need to edit the approved cards list or is it possible I need to update the drivers for the card.

Also Adobe Media Encoder reports it's using OpenCL Mercury Engine acceleration but intuition tells me that I should expect it to use CUDA if that's available?

I should add that I'm new to Adobe software having been a long time AVID and FCP user.

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]