ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CC and C4D Lite

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Pritchard
AE CC and C4D Lite
on Jun 21, 2013 at 9:59:39 am

This is not a major issue, just curious to find out. When using AE CC to open a C4D file it defers to C4D R14 version that I have instead of the Lite version. I've tried various methods but I can't get C4D Lite to open.
Is there a setting I should change?

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: AE CC and C4D Lite
on Jun 21, 2013 at 12:54:43 pm

Not sure about changing the settings, but I remember in the announcement videos of the C4D intergration that AE would use the highest version of C4D installed on a computer. Why would you want it to use Lite instead of your version?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Steven Pritchard
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:11:18 pm

As I said in my previous post it's not an issue I was just curious as to why.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 21, 2013 at 11:07:05 pm

It's designed to open the more fully-featured version by default. We didn't think that anyone would want to use Cinema 4D Lite if they had Studio or Broadcast installed.

Here's one way (on Windows) to change the behavior:
http://myleniumblog.com/2013/06/21/liten-up/

Another way (the way that I use) is to rename the 'Maxon' folder in my Applications directory to something else (e.g., 'ignore_Maxon') to cause After Effects to ignore my Studio installation and use the Cinema 4D Lite application installed by After Effects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Steven Pritchard
on Jun 22, 2013 at 12:11:00 am

Thanks, that answers that.

Return to posts index

Robert Walker
on Jun 22, 2013 at 9:50:34 pm

I have the opposite problem. I have R14 Studio installed, but AE CC is opening Lite by default.

Rob Walker
Walker-Fitzgibbon TV & Film
Miami

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 23, 2013 at 2:04:42 am

[Robert Walker] "I have the opposite problem. I have R14 Studio installed, but AE CC is opening Lite by default.
"

Have you tried the old trick of placing a plugin within ( ) to prevent AE from loading the plugin?

On a PC, my folder structure (which I assume will be the same for Windows users) for C4D is such - Adobe After Effects CC > Support Files > Plug-ins > MAXIN CINEWARE AE > CINEWARE Support > lite

To prevent C4D lite from being loaded, it should read
Adobe After Effects CC > Support Files > Plug-ins > MAXIN CINEWARE AE > CINEWARE Support > (lite)

There's no guarantee that AE will ping the alternative C4D installation but it's worth a try.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Robert Walker
on Jun 23, 2013 at 5:24:04 am

It was worth a try, but all that happened was AE returned an error when I clicked New>Maxon Cinema 4D File. This is on a Mac Pro, OS 10.7.5

Rob Walker
Miami

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 23, 2013 at 10:05:39 am

Well ... at least we know one thing more. After a wee bit of digging, it looks like Maxon are suggesting a re-installation of full-featured C4D app. It's a shame cos, Imagineer allows a user to choose which version of mocha to link to AE, from mocha's prefs. One would think that Maxon would have taken this path.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Robert Walker
on Jun 23, 2013 at 1:13:24 pm

I filed a bug report with Adobe.

Rob Walker
Miami

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 24, 2013 at 3:19:50 pm

There seems to be a fix -

The following was posted at the AE Mailling list by Jim Curtis -

"I noticed the AJA 10.4.5 Control Panel was now available for download. I installed it and reinstalled the AJA Adobe plugin 10.4.5 again, and now I can import ProRes movies without the error, and I got my external monitoring back."

Those using other i/o should look at getting updated drivers.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Nov 27, 2013 at 11:44:33 pm

Another reason to have better control of this:

I recently fired up a very old DEMO version of C4D to check something, and sure enough, when I tried to launch c4dL inside of AE (using ^e), it launched the DEMO, not the CC/c4dL version.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 2, 2013 at 6:39:21 pm

Eric, this was already fixed in After Effects CC (12.1). You now have complete control over which version is opened for what purpose:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/09/after-effects-cc-12-1-whats-new...

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]