ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

FAST RENDER for draft

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonio Rossi
FAST RENDER for draft
on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:55:59 pm

hi, i'm trying many rendering to find out the best settings for a draft, but all seem quite similar.
the .mov is bigger file output, the .mp4 is smaller file output but both takes long time to render

Which are the best settings to render even with poor quality, just to save a "preview" of the project?
I already turned off the preview. I resize everything to a 800x(depend on aspect ratio).
What else can i do to save time in the rendering?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: FAST RENDER for draft
on Jun 20, 2013 at 2:23:54 am

The Output Module makes very little difference in render time.

You should try changing the Render Settings. This is located just above the Output Module in the Render Queue. The 'Draft Settings' preset may reduce render times significantly, it disables motion blur, turns off bilinear smoothing and reduces render resolution to half (this is different then setting size in Output Module or Composition Settings).

Very often though I'll simply use the 'Best Settings' and change the Resolution to Half in the settings (click on the text 'Best Settings' to edit the settings). Half resolution can improve render times up to 4x alone.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 20, 2013 at 4:53:45 am

Darby is right. Decreasing resolution, frame rate, and/or color bit depth in the render settings makes a much bigger difference than any of the encoding settings in the output module settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Antonio Rossi
on Jun 20, 2013 at 11:02:34 am

ty everyone. i had already tried that. i guess it's just my macbook pro that sucks :D

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:40:47 pm

Warning: incoming rant.

Honestly I'm amazed how many people I hear about using laptops for AE. I suppose it makes sense to be somewhat mobile I want my renders and interaction as fast as possible.

Laptops are always getting faster but given the same generation of tech they will never ever ever ever catch up to a workstation. It's just not possible.

We had a contractor come in for a job and he insisted on working on his MBP for the first couple of days. I think it had been a few years since he'd used a workstation. He was getting worried that he wouldn't be able to finish the job in the allotted time, so I forced him onto one of our workstations and he was amazed at the rendering speed up (5-10x).

As a matter of fact, when I am mobile I use my laptop to login remotely to my workstation to work!

And thus ends my rant :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:46:30 pm

I agree with Darby.

It's great to use laptops for what they're good for: mobility. You can get a lot of good design work done wherever you happen to be.

But having a beefy workstation back at your office for rendering and other resource-intensive tasks is crucial for an efficient workflow.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Ticho Ooms
on Apr 8, 2014 at 11:55:48 pm

If you only have a laptop, that's the only possible way to go...

I need proxies to use in Premiere Pro, to speed up my preview process.

Is setting the quality to 'draft' enough to get a smaller intermediate file? I can't reduce the resolution because everything I do in Premiere is based on a particular resolution...

I used some 720p proxies at first instead of 5K sequences and now I have to copy&paste every setting I made on those proxies. I need to change all my sequences and nested sequences. But My 2010 MBP can't handle those big full quality 5K files...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]