ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to color an object with 3d element by sections?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Santiago CarreñoHow to color an object with 3d element by sections?
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:02:33 pm

Hi basically i have this logo that have some parts in green, some parts in yellow and some parts in blue. When I apply the diffuse color in element3d it basically paints the whole thing. Is there a way of colouring the logo by sections? Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: How to color an object with 3d element by sections?
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:19:20 pm

The only way to color a logo by section (this is assuming that your logo is already a 3D object) is by having separate mapping coordinates where you want the textures to be. This involves opening it in a 3D package (I use 3DS Max), then, if your object is just one polygonal model, cutting the segments you want to have different texture maps, then recombining them. The resulting model, when brought into Element 3D, will show up with multiple texture slots. You could also assign material IDs, but I find it easier to just cut and recombine. If I'm creating the model from scratch, I create the separate elements which will be different textures, then attach them into one model, and save as a .obj. I believe that there are tutorials on the VideoCopilot site walking you through the process. It's really pretty straightforward.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

antonio cerroRe: How to color an object with 3d element by sections?
by on Dec 27, 2014 at 12:23:26 pm

May be it is too late to answer this question,
but it could help to another person,
I did this duplicating the element3d layer, changing colors to the copy
and applying a mask to each layer.
To apply a mask to a element3d layer you should create a new layer, apply the mask to it and change the track matte of the element3d layer.
I hope this should be helpful to anyone.
Regards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]