ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Make some particles take a detour after being obstructed?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua JorgensenMake some particles take a detour after being obstructed?
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:14:23 pm

I'm working on a project in After Effects & Lightwave that requires particles to follow a specific behavior that I don't know how to accomplish. I need a stream of particles to flow in a single direction (left to right), halfway through their travels they encounter a wall. The particles bump into the wall and start piling up behind it. A moment after they bump, some of them decide to try again and are able to slowly pass through the wall as though it is made of jelly while other decide to not try again and instead go around the wall.

I though maybe foam would be the way to go but in my tests, I realize that I don't know enough about foam to make it work the way I've described. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The solution can be in LW or AE. I've also posted this on the Newtek forum so I can get some perspective from the LW side as well. Thanks for looking and for the help everyone.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Make some particles take a detour after being obstructed?
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 7:46:57 pm

You should search for specific directions in whichever particle system lightwave has that encompasses conditions, behaviours and forces, otherwise you won't be able to guide the particles.

In 3ds max and c4d that would be thinking particles. Unfortunately I don't know LW.

And you won't be able to do that in AE without a lot of faking stuff up.

Return to posts index

Joshua JorgensenRe: Make some particles take a detour after being obstructed?
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:23:23 pm

Thank you Cassius. Now I know that I can focus my attention on a 3D solution rather than banging my head against a wall in AE. The folks over at the Newtek forum are chiming in with some suggestions so hopefully something over there will get me going.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]