ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Performance with AE CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc LucasPerformance with AE CC
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:44:52 pm

Just signed up for AE CC and the performance is way slower than my CS5 version .. Are there any system settings that I should be looking at? I have 13GB allocated to AE (out of 16 on my MBP) also have 'reduce cache size when system is low' checked.

I'm playing with 'Auto Lip Sync' and its becoming unusable with the performance.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:20:20 pm

In general, After Effects CC (12.0) should be faster than previous versions.

Without more details about your settings, what you're doing, and exactly what is slower, it's hard to know what to suggest.

See this page for information about memory and improving performance in After Effects: http://adobe.ly/dC0MdR

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

JC BendockRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Jun 19, 2013 at 6:12:42 pm

I'm experiencing lag. In nearly everything i do. For example duplicate a layer- Ctrl-D in cs6 it is instant in cc it takes aprrox .5 sec to do. If i duplicate 5 times it is a considerable wait. This lag is apparent in every function I try to do.

JC Bendock
Equipment Rentals|Video Production | Color & Post
O:801-486-3300
RonHillImagery.com

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:25:05 pm

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting an SSD for your cache folder and make sure that it is the only thing you use that drive for. I got a 60gb Intel 520 series on ebay for $63, which I'm loving at the moment. Yeah, sometimes it can take a bit for AE to create a cache while you're working which may be the cause of your lag. So in that case you'll have to look at how you build your comps. I'm not sure what's best practice now with how the global cache works. Probably should look at some training for that.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

JC BendockRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:57:56 pm

Unfortunatly, I dont think that is the problem. I run my OS and main apps off of a vertex 3 and my scratch runs via fiber @800MB/sec.

System specs:
Asus Rampage 4 extreme mobo.
2 GTX 580 classifieds Hydro copper- no SLI(used for Davinci and now adobe Yeah!)
1GTX 660ti Gui card for Davinci
LGA 2011 I-7 3930 @3.2 GHz
64GB Gskills Ripjaw-z DDR3-2400
Blackmagic decklink 4K extreme

I still have CS6 installed could that be influencing this? Is anyone else having any issues?

JC Bendock
Equipment Rentals|Video Production | Color & Post
O:801-486-3300
RonHillImagery.com

Return to posts index

by on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:59:50 pm

wow, that's some killer setup. You and I have the same CPU, but I can't vouch for any of the other stuff. Did you install those bug fixes yesterday?

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Roberto TafuroRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:19:16 pm

JC you're not alone. Performance in CC is terrible. CTRL+Z...wait CTRL+A...wait...if i hold the spacebar to move my preview window...wait before the hand comes in...P for position...wait...S for scale...wait...it's terrible.With multiprocessiong,without multiprocessing,with GPU (GTX680 4GB),without GPU.
In CS6 everything works superfine,my machine is up to date and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it...
So AE CC is slow in response,not for all sure,but for much people yes.
Bests,
Roberto

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:31:08 pm

Bug fixes went out this morning. See if that helps.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:48:25 pm

There was an update to Adobe Media Encoder, not to After Effects itself. Details: http://adobe.ly/12EHAn7

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2013 at 6:55:04 pm

Yep,i've updated my apps this morning,but nothing changes unfortunately!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2013 at 7:43:47 pm

Can you try using another computer? It runs fine on both my PC desktop and my 2010 Macbook Pro. I've configured my desktop for optimal performance and disk caching (SSD), etc, but my MBP is pretty much on its own.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:17:51 pm

Yes,on my laptop,an i7950 with 4GB of ram works in the same way,terrible lags. With CS6 absolutely no problem. Another Nvidia graphic card on the laptop with the same drivers of my 680. Probably is a combination with Windows7 and Nvidia cards. Really don't know! I've started a thread on the Adobe forum hoping for a solution. Otherwise i have to go back to CS6 because lags are really problematics while working.
Thank you so much for your time!
Bests,
Roberto

Return to posts index

by on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:24:19 pm

If you've been with Adobe products long enough you're probably aware that the last ditch effort is to uninstall and reinstall, which sucks especially if you have plugins and scripts and all that setup, but that may be the thing that fixes your situation.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2013 at 8:48:46 am

Yes Jason! But i don't think that reinstall CC apps will help in this case. I've found other threads with same problem and a reply from Todd that says that this is a known issue.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1038943
http://forums.adobe.com/message/5495984

Hope that it will be resolved soon.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 12, 2013 at 4:56:45 pm

Well that's good to hear. Reinstall sucks. Here's hoping it gets resolved.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Jul 15, 2013 at 11:27:22 pm

Here's what we know about the issue with slowness when clicking to open a menu or when using a keyboard shortcut. (We're still digging, though, so it may turn out that some of this is incomplete or incorrect.)

Because of a change for After Effects CC (12.0) that shows the activated user in the menus, After Effects is checking a file on disk each time that menus are accessed. Because of the way that we implement keyboard shortcuts, this also means that the file is checked each time a keyboard shortcut is used.

On computers where disk access is slow (e.g., because the disk is slow, the bus is slow, or something else is reading from the disk at the same time), this simple check of a file can add a noticeable amount of time---maybe half a second or even a couple of seconds in some cases.

We are in the process of fixing this. It is my hope (but not a promise) that we'll be able to have a good fix in place for the next update, which we're targeting for September.

In the meantime, here's how you should be able to mitigate the problem:
Make sure that your software is installed on the fastest disk that you have, preferably an SSD. If you don't have an SSD, then at least make sure that your software (applications and OS) are not stored on the same drive from which you're reading footage or to which you're writing output files. And certainly don't run applications with high disk access (like WinZip or anti-virus software that intervenes at every disk access, just for a couple of examples) while you are working with After Effects. (BTW, this is all good advice for high performance even without this bug.)

If you make these changes and notice an improvement, let us know. Actually, let us know either way so that we can collect more information.

So, how did this get past us? I think that it's because we tend to test on computers that are set up as I describe above, including tending to use SSDs and having our disk access spread across multiple disks. That said, we do apologize for letting this get out and inconvenience you.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Dwayne TarverRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Aug 22, 2013 at 3:01:51 pm

So far After Effects cc sucks. I have an i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz with 32 gig of ram and a 256 SSD with 130 gig free. Everything I do has a lag. If I open a project and click on the timeline if takes up to a minute for the monitor to update. I wait for the computer in case it is running background, come back 20 minutes later and the same thing happens. Everything else I do on the computer is lightning fast but After Effects performance blows. I have used many versions of AF and have never had this kind of issue.

AF cc should be a beta version. I am surprised that Adobe would release a program in this condition then have no idea what we are complaining about.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 1, 2013 at 12:40:35 am

Today, we released the After Effects CC (12.1) update, which fixes this slowness when using menus and keyboard shortcuts on some machines.

Try the update and let us know how it works for you.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Michael RoseberryRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Apr 25, 2014 at 5:22:56 am

The issue is still there. My system was working perfectly with CC. but the drag and drop function didn't work when importing into the projects panel. I read from an adobe support person to update to v12.2.1 to solve the drag and drop issue. I updated to 12.2, 12.2.1, and 12.2.1.5 none of which fixed the drag and drop issues for importing. now after updating I have a HUGE HUGE HUGE lag between clicking on any function to the point that i think that the program is locking up, then it responds to what I commanded. CC has become useless to me now. I couldn't possibly be more frustrated...

(All Apps are Updated...)
Do I need to go back to my Original CC installation and redo all my plugins???
or back to AE CS6 to restore my Drag and Drop on Import to Project Panel
(btw happens For all files on import .jpg, .mp4, .psd, .mov etc... I have to click File/Import or right-click inproject panel and select Import then Browse for files to import...)

Windows 8 Pro 64Bit PC
6GB Memory
SSD Harddrive Samsung 6.0MB/sec
AE CC v12.2.1.5
Nothing running in the Background)

Return to posts index

by on Apr 25, 2014 at 10:37:59 pm

I'm also interested in the response from someone who knows more than me on this matter. My system has been behaving laggy as well. It's mostly selecting stuff, or for example say I select 50 layers and then click the 3D switch. Sometimes it's instant, and sometimes it's one...at...a...time, then flies through the rest. Just weird things that create lag all over the place. It seems that it didn't used to do that with the initial release. My system is optimized per Adobe's recommendations with OS and Apps on a sata 3 SSD, media on an separate HDD (7200) and cache on it's own sata 3 SSD as well. I've got 32gb of RAM AE and seems to enjoy about 24gb of it at times. Maybe caching a lot?

I wonder if there's a common element between users who work with a lot of shape layers or use a certain plugin. In my most recent project, I've experienced lag in the interface, and it's mostly shape layers, ease & whiz expressions, and a few stock plugins (hue, and fast blur).

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Michael RoseberryRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Apr 26, 2014 at 4:26:06 am

Ya exactly what I was getting. I start a brand new comp create new solid layer lag on selecting and showing up. The very first selection. So not like I had a lot going on and it was just getting hung up. I have been using after effects for a couple years now so I'm not a newbie with the program. I know what to expect from my system and this software. I can typically run AE, Photoshop, Internet, and 3DS max or Cinema 4D at the same time with a HUGE AE comp with no issues whatsoever... I uninstalled CC with all the updates last night. But I haven't checked yet to see if problem was resolved yet. I'll let you know shortly.

P.S. FYI, I uninstalled CC while leaving preferences. This allowed me to keep my plugins intact when I reinstalled.

Return to posts index

Lazzo HrusovskyRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Mar 22, 2016 at 1:25:47 am

Hi Roberto,

I would like to ask you for an advice. I am also struggling with AF CC. My problem is tat I am not able to preview the whole composition I created from the beginning to the end. There is constantly blue line instead green one, and in the middle of the preview the video stops playing and start from the begining.

Could you please advice how to set up the AE or what?

Ps- Yes, I am beginner, but able already to work with AE on the basic level.

Many thanks.

Lazzo

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2016 at 5:16:18 am

Hey Lazzo,

a handful of things could be contributing to poor playback. Blue bar indicates cached frames to disk, not in RAM. If your cache drive is a fast SSD, 6gbs, then it should playback somewhat ok. I suggest go watching this https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/atv/cs6-tutorials/global-performance-...

Thing is, if you're in CC 2015, there are several playback issues being fixed with each update. I'm not sure how much better it is on Mac, but it seems to play fine for me on my PC. Mac seems to get the grunt of most of the playback problems.

Good luck!

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Lazzo HrusovskyRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Mar 28, 2016 at 8:07:18 pm

Thank you Jason for your answer, I tried to follow yours.
Now I am facing with the error message: "Glow returned invalid max result rect from PF Cmd SMART PRE RENDER (25:237)

Please, could you advise how to continue working on my project?

Many thanks,

Lazzo

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Performance with AE CC
by on Mar 22, 2016 at 7:20:39 pm

If AE can't cache the whole preview into RAM, it'll put the rest into the cache.

This indicates that you don't have enough RAM to cache your whole composition. This is not unusual. Uncompressed HD video takes up a lot of space! Either preview at a smaller resolution, preview every other frame, or preview in sections.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]