ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CC not recognising ProRes files!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Roper
After Effects CC not recognising ProRes files!
on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:35:49 pm

Hello,

I am rather concerned that I cannot import ProRes 422 QuickTimes into AE; it give me a "this 'MooV' file is damaged or unsupported" error. I can import and work with the exact same files in CS6, and Premiere CC.

I can import other types of QuickTime, such as H.264.

I also cannot render to ProRes 422; I get an "output module failed" error.

Anyone else come across this today?

I'll try a restart and report back.....

- Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
Re: After Effects CC not recognising ProRes files!
on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:42:27 pm

Nope - restart didn't fix it. Bug report time.

Bah. Back to CS6 for now....

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Jun 18, 2013 at 4:46:55 pm

Ah - make that any QuickTime format.

It will render image sequences OK, but I've tried a few QuickTime codecs and it just gives me an "output module failed" error.

Return to posts index

Marcus Mullins
on Oct 1, 2013 at 4:56:02 am

A little late to this, but...

After several "output module failed" errors and some digging I found that Quicktime for PC does not support more than 21 cpu cores (including virtual/hyper-threaded). I don't think it's for all of the codecs, but h.264 definitely does not work with more than 21. Anytime I want to export h.264, I have to run msconfig from the start menu, go to the Boot tab, click on "Advanced options...", check the Number of Processors box, set it to 21, and reboot. Everything seems to work fine after this, I just have fewer cpu's to work with.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Jun 18, 2013 at 6:56:22 pm

I just tried it in AE CC on my mac pro at work, prores works fine. If you are on windows perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest quicktime for windows.

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:29:22 am

I'm on a Mac Pro. I did a complete uninstall and re-install of AE, but I still have the same problem. Which obviously makes AE CC completely useless for me.

Will submit ANOTHER bug report.

- Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Campbell
on Jun 19, 2013 at 10:04:02 am

Yup... same problem ... both Premiere CC AND After Effects CC are not recognizing Pro Res ...heck it doesn't seem like they are recognizing QUICKTIME in general (both progams are rejecting a .MOV I have with the animation codec) ...

When I try and open up a CS6 sequence in CC I get a message saying "The preset used by one or more of the sequences in this project requires third party components that could not be located." When you click ok just to get the project open, the media is offline.

When I try and IMPORT a .MOV into Premiere CC I get "The importer reported a generic error."

When I try and IMPORT a .MOV into AE cc I get "Cannot be imported- this 'MooV' file is damaged or unsupported.

When I try a test render out of AE cc the default Format is Quicktime, but when you go to the Video Output Format Options the Video Codec has the number "0" instead of a list of codecs .... and when you click on the "0" it changes to "-1"

Media Encoder obviously is essentially the same story.

This seems to be a Quicktime thing .... very very VERY disappointing and frustrating given how hard Adobe went after us Mac guys after the FCP X fiasco.

CS6 has no problems working with my Mac and QT/ProRes ... so I know it's not my machine...

I guess we just go back to CS6 and wait for Adobe to fix this?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:20:01 pm

Do you have the AJA Adobe plug-in installed? Try removing it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Christian Schumacher
on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:42:35 pm

[Paul Campbell] "This seems to be a Quicktime thing ...."

I have installed AE CC on a Mountain Lion rig with FCPX installed.
No other Adobe software installed besides Flash Player.
And Pro Res is working fine, to read and to write.

Then there's the Adobe's requirements for mac.
They say you need to install QT software 7.6.6 - which is for Snow Leopard (?)
Well, I went ahead and installed AE CC without installing QT and it's working.
I wonder if this requirement for QT is a legacy of some sort? Is it for older codecs only?

Or maybe this is related to the problem you're having? Maybe you need to install QT7?
I haven't had this need perhaps due to the FCPX installation - which adds pro codecs.
IDK, I thought Pro Res should be available on any ML install, or even Lion, no? On QTX?

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:40:24 pm

In case it help track down the problem:

I have no video in/out cards and my After Effects CC install has no 3rd party plug-ins at all. In fact I uninstalled and re-installed it yesterday, so it's fresh-out-of-the-box, but it didn't help.

I can import/edit/play QuickTimes in Premiere CC - no problems there.

I have QuickTime 7.6.6 installed (as well as the useless crappy QuickTime X which I never use). I have Final Cut Pro 7 installed, and no FCPX. FCP7 installs the "pro" codecs (such as ProRes) but I suspect that the standard OS install (QuickTime X) does not have those codecs. I'd imagine that an FCPX install would include the pro codecs too.

I used the beta version of AE a couple of months back for a job involving a lot of QuickTime renders, and had no problems...but that was on a different Mac (exactly the same spec, same OS, same RAM, same video cards, but a different physical machine...in a different country).

- Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Sisko
on Jun 23, 2013 at 12:41:55 pm

Just a though. Apple has a QuickTime codec download that includes all of the prores codecs. I would give that a try, I have the exact same machine and no issues with output to any apple codecs.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 24, 2013 at 8:19:59 am

Jim Curtis has just reported at the AE Mailist that installing the recently available AJA 10.4.5 Control Panel resolved AE CC's inability to read/write ProRes files and fixed his external monitoring issues.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Jun 26, 2013 at 3:01:35 pm

I found the solution!

As Todd Kopriva suggested, I looked at his troubleshooting page ( http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/02/troubleshooting-quicktime-error... ) and was interested to read:

"I’ve even seen non-security software such as FileMaker (as well as some malware, as mentioned here) block this communication by taking up the port that is needed."

Hmmmm.....I use FileMaker Pro a lot, and it’s usually running in the background. So I quit FileMaker, loaded up AE CC, set something to render, and lo and behold it just did it. To double-check, I then loaded up FileMaker, set the same thing to render again, and it failed with the same QuickTime error.

So there you have it. So who is to blame for using that same port? Is it Adobe or FileMaker? I’d bet that whoever is to blame, it would be much easier to get Adobe to change the port rather than FileMaker. Chances of those idiots at Crapple pulling their fingers out and making a 64-bit version of QuickTime? Don’t make me laugh!

- Paul

Return to posts index

Thomas Wood
on Jun 26, 2013 at 9:31:42 pm

I have come across the exact same problem and found this thread very helpful. My Blackmagic card was to blame, or should I say the Desktop Video software that manages it. I installed the latest release from Blackmagic and now everything works as expected.

Return to posts index

Chris Wilson
on Jul 15, 2013 at 7:44:34 pm

Same ProRes issue here. I'm running CS6 on a Mac laptop (Mt. Lion) with no problems. The same version of Creative Suite on my beefier Mac Pro running Snow Leopard doesn't recognize ProRes or output the format from AE, Media Encoder or Premiere. If it's relevant, I have an AJA Kona LHe card running, I believe, the latest control panel. Both the laptop and tower Macs also run Final Cut 7.

I've read the above thread, poked around on the Adobe site, downloaded and installed ProRes drivers from Adobe...I'm stumped. I have a lot of ProRes 422(HQ) material I need to work with - yesterday. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 7, 2013 at 8:01:15 pm

Here is a new article from us about solutions for problems with QuickTime files in After Effects CC (12.0): http://adobe.ly/QT_AE_CC_12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Matka Okolinska
on Nov 17, 2016 at 10:55:11 am

Maybe this sound strange but for me works this: turn off firewall and disconnect Internet connection - importing hires mov with no error message.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]