ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixel stretch effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Navarro Parker
Pixel stretch effect?
on Jun 17, 2013 at 9:15:20 pm

I remember seeing this effect quite a few years ago. There was a plug-in called Pete's Plug-in that could do it, but it died in the PPC/Intel transition on the Mac (and of course it won't run in CS6)

I know Scale Wipe can do something similar, but it has this bendy look when the direction is diagonal.

Is there any modern plug-in that can do this effect? I vaguely remember a tutorial doing it manually a 1 pixel mask or something like that.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Pixel stretch effect?
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:53:42 am

[Navarro Parker] "Is there any modern plug-in that can do this effect?"

You could use RE:Visions FX's RE:Fill [link]. Use "RE:Fill Frame Borders" and set the fill method to "Edge Duplicate."

[Navarro Parker] "I vaguely remember a tutorial doing it manually a 1 pixel mask or something like that."

To do this without third-party effects, I'd duplicate then precomp the image in a minimal width comp (I think it's 4 px). Adjust the anchor point of the precomp's layer in the main comp to the edge, turn the layer's quality switch to draft, and scale it way up horizontally (but not vertically). If you want to animate, you can link the anchor point of the precomp's source to the precomp layer's position.

Make sure when you render that you modify the render settings! "Best Settings" will override your draft-quality scaling. Choose "Current Setttings" for quality in the render settings.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]