ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mocha Footage Replacement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Wody
Mocha Footage Replacement
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:01:04 pm

Can already existing roto splines be applied and adapted to new imported clips using Mocha AE cs6? The client sent us footage which we rotoscoped. They recently sent us revised versions of the footage. Is there any way I can keep my previous roto splines, and apply them to the new clips in Mocha so I can adjust them to match? I can import my new clip into Mocha, but can not find a way to reassign my roto and track layers to this new clip.

The only way around this that I have found so far is to create a new spline on the original clip that is the exact size of the footage (so my footage fits perfectly within this rectangle spline). With this “footage rectangle layer” selected, I can then insert a clip (the new footage) inside this spline. The only problem with this is that I am now relying on my “footage rectangle layer” to be perfectly matching the aspect ratio of my footage, or else all of my previous work will not match correctly (which is the original problem). This approach seems awkward, and I am wondering if I am missing the obvious.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Mocha Footage Replacement
on Jun 18, 2013 at 12:21:10 am

You've not mentioned details of the new clip's duration and image rez. These will greatly impact how much work is required. And if the durations of the two clips do not match up, is the padding at the head, tail or both?

mochaAE CS6 lacks the Dope Sheet Module which is available in mochaAE V3. The Dope Sheet allows you to shift keyframes along the Timeline. This is great when you are linking to a new clip with additional frames at the head and you need to move the keyframes down the timeline since mocha's keyframes stay locked in time when you link to a new clip.

To link to a new clip, while keeping existing splines and keyframes, use the Clip Module's Import or Relink feature.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor
& Adobe After Effects CS6 ACE

Return to posts index

Ben Wody
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:32:56 pm

My original Mocha project is 5000+ frames. It is a series of clips that have been previously strung together. I now need to individually apply specific sections of my roto splines to their respected clips. My first one is only 79 frames long (which in my original project exists between frames 4278 and 4325). I know this is not the most efficient workflow, but I have done so much work already there is no turning back. I have just updated to Mocha V3, and I am learning how to use the dope sheet. It seems pretty straight forward. My problem now is that the dope sheet only allows me to access frames 0 to 79 since that is how long my new relinked footage is, and Mocha has locked the clip in the beginning of my timeline. I can not access frames in the 4000's to grab the keyframes that I need for the clip.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:53:34 pm

Ben, howzabout padding your new clip with additional footage at the head before you relink it in mocha? I'm sorry but I can't think of anything else.

And YES, the Dope Sheet is easy to use - makes you wonder why folks give it such a happening name. ;-)

If the above suggestion fails then I suggest that you visit Imagineer's online forum to see if they have other options that you can look into.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Ben Wody
on Jun 18, 2013 at 3:50:06 pm

I went ahead and padded it by rebuilding the parts of the sequence that I needed in AE. It works. Thank you so much for your help. This sheet is DOPE!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 19, 2013 at 2:36:26 pm

I'm glad it's worked out for you Ben.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>