ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fixing Constantly Changing White Balance

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Tal Globus
Fixing Constantly Changing White Balance
on Jun 15, 2013 at 9:13:41 pm

I have footage from a camera that continuously changes its white balance while shooting, so the footage switches back and forth between warm and cool. How do I color correct for a changing white balance? Note, there's hours of footage there.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Fixing Constantly Changing White Balance
on Jun 16, 2013 at 12:38:43 am

First, tell the person who shot this to turn off those automatic settings.

For the footage that you already have, try the Color Stabilizer effect first. If it doesn't do a good enough job, look into RE:Match from RE:Vision Effects.

Even with the best software, it can be very hard to salvage a badly shot set of footage, so be sure to heed the first part about turning off the auto settings in the camera.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Stuart Wright
on Oct 4, 2019 at 2:07:33 am

"First, tell the person who shot this to turn off those automatic settings."

Sorry if this is not the right thread for this but myself and some friends made a very amateur film with a DSLR and had quite a few white balance issues in the footage. Which automatic settings should we be turning off on the camera to prevent it? Thank you ☺

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 16, 2013 at 1:18:57 pm

you can try my free auto white balance/deflicker fixer. it works really well and the best part is that it is free!

aep cs3 aep
6154_autowhitebalanceshadow2011.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Darryl Ephraums
on Feb 14, 2014 at 7:37:49 am

That sounds like a wonderful idea Chris.

But as a beginner, how I do start using this freebie? Are there any instructions?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:37:21 pm

if you enable the text layer and scroll Gamma Clamp at gamma*10 so that the text box reads 25, it will
fix timelapse and old movie's flicker and white balance for large ammounts of footage. just replace video with yours.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 17, 2014 at 2:19:06 pm

also, you can disable the shadow/highlight effect and the Midtones Brightness expression and the template will just work on the white balance.

Return to posts index

Mark Foerster
on Mar 8, 2014 at 4:06:55 pm

Thankyou for all the help - much appreciated!

Mar

Return to posts index

Aaron Dep
on Oct 12, 2018 at 10:23:33 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you for making this. I've seen you on multiple forums which is good to see. However, you're using so esoteric language and vague descriptions of how to actually execute this that a beginner to After Effects like me has absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It would be incredibly helpful if you made a video or step by step list of how to actually enable the text layer, changing the gamma clamp, and all these types of things so that your work can be a lot more useful to the community. Thanks again. Seeing that this was so many years ago I really do hope you see this and get back to me as I'm very desperate to fix my hyperlapse.

Best,
Aaron

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 13, 2018 at 3:28:46 pm

im 99% sure even my last correction slider can be fully automated. I just haven't touched it because it works and I don't want to break it. I originally tested the template on archive.org train footage that was very flickery and it worked really well.

I haven't made a video because its free and you get technical support once every 6 years, lol. i might have time sometime this week for a 60 sec. walkthrough. in the meantime, right click replace video.avi with your footage. there is a hidden text layer in final output comp(de-hide with hide button) that has a number that displays lower right.

you want the gamma clamp slider to make that number ~25 so that it averages 25 every 30 seconds or so. this has something to do with the shadow pumping required to fix really bad footage. a lot of this was tricky because there's no direct math working here, it's more art than science as I stumbled on the right logarithmic code through pure trial and error.

if you need a professional plugin, I highly recommend digital anarchy deflicker as it supports a wide variety of flickering problems including strobing and florescent light problems for only $149.https://store.digitalanarchy.com/23-VIDEO_PLUGINS

Return to posts index

Vernon Lott
on Mar 2, 2019 at 4:48:01 am

Hi Chris,

I downloaded your plug-in. Would it be possible to chat with you?

Return to posts index

Vernon Lott
on Mar 4, 2019 at 9:22:13 pm

Hi Chris,
Could you please email me at vblott@morrishillpictures.com?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 8, 2019 at 11:43:10 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting this fix. I have some old footage that a client gave me that has wildly fluctuating white balance. I tried using this fix, but it didn't seem to work for me. The render still has the same issues.

I think I probably didn't use it correctly. I didn't really understand the part about the hidden text. I found the hidden text, but when I slid the Gamma Clamp slider, it didn't effect the number 50 in the hidden text at all. It never moved off of 50 so I just hit render to see what would happen.

What did I miss?

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 8, 2019 at 11:46:04 pm

Also, there was a black solid that I had to move out of the screen. Wasn't sure what that was for so I just moved it aside.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 8, 2019 at 11:46:58 pm

And I wasn't sure what the 8mm ships.mov 2 layer was for either but I just left it.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 8, 2019 at 11:54:13 pm

ah, ok, I know what you haven't done. you have to right click replace the .jpg in the project. that will replace all the layers with your footage.
it's not a plugin. you need to edit the template.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:05:19 am

Thanks for the response!

I replaced the video.avi in the project tab with my .mov footage, but I'm not seeing any .jpg under the project tab.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:10:24 am

urm yea, i guess this version did indeed get drafted with an avi. sorry, its been like 6 years since I made it as some versions have slight variations. right click replace avi should do the trick. the black square is a temporary matte to easily see the text for flicker. you turn it off before render. I guess I never really made proper documentation for this. It was a pet project never realized professionally, but I figured it was good enough to share.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:18:28 am

No, that's quite all right. Just wanted to make sure I understood what you were referring to.

Okay, that makes sense with the matte.

If you have an updated version, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 8, 2019 at 11:51:28 pm

see if the expressions in the comps are accidentally turned off. the comp 'exposure repair' reads an average color. if your footage is mostly dark or isolated, you can even customize that comp with a mask and average exactly what you need(although by default, it averages the whole image to calculate a dominate color to subtract, like a DSLR's white balance but it does it per frame by frame.
The master comp master sliders can offset the adjustments in the whole project.

The hidden effect 'Rebel Cc' uses levels to re-calculate the white point. It does not need shadow or hidden text layer to fix white balance. That is only for flicker and shadows.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:15:54 am

The expression target = comp under the footage within the exposure repair comp was enabled.

The expression comp("Final_OUTPUT") under the empty text layer was also enabled.

Those are the only two expressions I see. I do not see the 'Rebel Cc' effect, or understand what it's for, or how to use it.

What are you referring to when you say "master comp master sliders?" I'm not seeing any "master comp." Do you mean the master control slider layer?

If so, I adjust the Gamma, and it does not affect the number 50 in the hidden text at all. As though the hidden text is not connected to the Gamma slider in any way. No matter where I place the slider, the number in the hidden text always reads 50.

Also, I'm not sure what this means:

"you want the gamma clamp slider to make that number ~25 so that it averages 25 every 30 seconds or so. "

Does that mean you want the gamma clamp slider to be at negative 25? i'm not understanding the "~" symbol.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:24:43 am

Here are some screenshots that show no matter where I put the Gamma slider, the number in the text remains at 50.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:25:04 am

many layers are hidden with the auto hide button enabled
the 8mm ship.mov has the rebell cc effect that is tied to the expressions on the layer "Master sliders'in the 'Final output comp'

The exposure compensator works in tandem with the gamma clamp slider to get approx 25 (tilda~ means approx) every 30 seconds. This is only need for flicker removal and you can turn it off by the text layer saying zero or simply disabling the shadow/highlight effect in the 8mm avi layer in the final output comp.

The value of the sliders don't really matter, just the text layer that computes if the shadow effect is pumping black back into the image. This is because you can have multiple variations of exposure vs. gamma(those two sliders)

Again, if you try to make offset white balance changes, and the image doesn't change, the expression may be disabled. There is nothing you can't edit in my template, so hopefully you'll figure it out by tinkering. You may even come up with a better template.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:44:01 am

Thanks for your patience here.

Okay, I see the Rebel CC now.

I turned off the Shadow/highlight effect as you mentioned, and the footage does look better, but the white balance is still all over the place.

I change the text in the hidden text from 50 to 25, but when I click out of the text box it turns back to 50. Not sure what I need to do with this.

I suspect that this might be over my head in terms of its complexity, so I probably won't be able to figure it out. But I do appreciate the questions you've answered. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 9, 2019 at 12:53:49 am

if you don't need flicker removal, you can ignore the exposure, gamma clamp, and text layer.

If the white balance is not affecting the image or not well enough, you may have a hue issue which is currently not directly supported.
You'd have to precomp the 'exposure repair' comp to get the hues to align to the 2D correction of magenta versus cyan in a vectorscope.

Additionally, your white balance problems maybe so destroyed that there is no data left to recover(I'm only guessing here).

You can use premiere or resolve and use the HSL vectorscope to get the image centered so perceptually it looks balanced. Then you'd cut various offending spots of your clip into smaller sections, fix them, then transition from clip to clip with a dissolve. This may be more accurate and faster if your clips aren't fluctuating every single frame.

If you have no color data in one of the channels, you can also try using the channel mixer to borrow color data from another channel.

Again, it's hard to recommend the correct direction you should take without seeing the footage. Also, it is hard to explain how to do advanced color correction in a simple post.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 9, 2019 at 1:41:40 am

here's what the hue upgrade would look like.
I added a hue precomp with hue adjustment layer mode transfer hue only. You can now get any hue you want before calculations begin.
(i'd locked the preview to the final output to see what it would be while changing the hue)

I also added a pure b/w catch error if the screen gets too de-saturated.(old bug)

everything's 720x480. you can modify the comp size and layers with free resize scripts from aescripts compsetter
ae cc 2017
I tested this once again with a massive green gamma to see if it still worked. still came out perfect. not bad for free, lol.

ae 2017 auto white balance plus hue
13509_ae2017autowhitebalanceplushue.zip

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 2:05:13 am

Thank you very much for this, but I'm working with CS6, so I'm afraid it won't open for me.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 9, 2019 at 2:20:53 am

no biggie, the precomp is easy to make, right click precompose the exposure repair one. make sure you click 'leave attributes' so you don't move the 'set grey' effect from exposure repair comp.

the new hue precomp uses an adjustment layer set to hue for effect-hue. you can also add curves set to color, and curves set to luma for flat images.

the shadow/highlight code upgraded to include b/w you'd paste into Shadow Amount under effect 'Shadow/Highlight' under layer '8mm ships.mov 2' in comp 'Final output'.

r = comp("exposure repair").layer("background").effect("Step 3: Set Gray")("Color")[0]*2;
g = comp("exposure repair").layer("background").effect("Step 3: Set Gray")("Color")[1]*2;
b = comp("exposure repair").layer("background").effect("Step 3: Set Gray")("Color")[2]*2;

mr=Math.log(r);
mg=Math.log(g);
mb=Math.log(b);

a=mr+mg+mb;
if(a<0.01)
{a=0.01}
dd=(0.8-(a/3))+(comp("FINAL_OUTPUT").layer("MASTER CONTROL SLIDERS").effect("Exposure Compensator 0-default")("Slider")/100);

if(dd>(comp("FINAL_OUTPUT").layer("MASTER CONTROL SLIDERS").effect("[] Gamma Clamp at gamma 20-default")("Slider"))/20)
{
roll=(comp("FINAL_OUTPUT").layer("MASTER CONTROL SLIDERS").effect("[] Gamma Clamp at gamma 20-default")("Slider")/20);
linear(roll,0,dd,100,0);
}
else
0;

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 4:52:25 am

I'm' going through this now, and I'm not understanding "the shadow/highlight code upgraded to include b/w you'd paste into Shadow Amount under effect 'Shadow/Highlight' under layer '8mm ships.mov 2' in comp 'Final output'." Does this mean that I add something to the Shadow/Highlight layer to accommodate black and white? If so, how? I don't see R, G or B where I would paste the formulas into.

When you say, "the new hue precomp uses an adjustment layer set to hue for effect-hue. you can also add curves set to color, and curves set to luma for flat images." Does that mean that I add an adjustment layer to this comp, and then add the hue/saturation effect, the curves effect? If so, what settings do I put in them? How do I set hue for effect? How do I set curves to color? How do I set to luma for flat images? I'm not seeing controls in these effects for these settings.

I copied and pasted the formula into the Shadow/Highlight layer, and this error message popped up:

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 2:52:45 am

Thanks again Chris. I'm working with CS6, so some of this may be outside the scope of what my version can do.

The video essentially fluctuates from frame to frame. There is a white background which fluctuates between white, to a cream color to a whiteish purplish color over time. The color stabilizer effect won't work for me because there are no still shots where a white or black space remains in a constant place. Maybe that's the hue issue you speak of?

I'm not at all familiar with working with vectorscopes.

I hear you with regards to explaining advanced color correction. I was under the impression that I'd be able to plug my footage in this and get a satisfactory fix with a button, but that seems unlikely. I don't think my skill level is up to tackle what you're describing here.

If you want to take a look at the footage to see what is really going on, here is a download link.

https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/810125/Sequence%2001-2.mov

It's possible that I'm describing the problem incorrectly.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 9, 2019 at 3:55:17 am

i added a curves to the hue precomp mode 'color'. then I lowered red white point and green white point(little less than red). i set final output comp -master white balance slider to 35.

everything matches perfectly except the one shot where the cell phone takes up the whole screen. you'd have to mask it in the precomp.
it was never flickering like crazy in the first place, so my template perhaps maybe overkill and if you'd like to learn how to do advanced color grading, I made a 60 sec video in premiere that goes over black point, white point, gamma, 3-D white balance.

I think the main problem you had was a low CRI light source on top of auto white balance in camera. So, not only were the midtones not balanced, and white points, but you have low color information from very little hue variations in the low CRI bulb reflecting back into the camera. Here's to fix manually if you're interested.
https://f1.creativecow.net/13510/3d-white-pointing-in-premiere?uploaded=fil...

The basic idea is to get rid of rapid variations of color/exposure in AE, then perfect in premiere with vectorscopes. Eyeballing it is never a good idea.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 4:10:29 am

That's a really nice video. Thank you very much. I'd be interested in watching all of your videos if you have any more.

I'm going to give your description a shot tomorrow evening, with the first template you had which I think was CS3. That works with my CS6.

I'll let you know my results tomorrow night. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 4:22:44 am

When you say "i added a curves to the hue precomp mode 'color'."

I'm not seeing a hue pre-comp. Are you referring to the new template you just posted here? If so, I'm u nable to use it because I am running CS6, and it appears that file is CC 2017.

I can open the original file though, which was created in CS3.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 9, 2019 at 4:23:31 am

Oops, just saw your pre-comp instructions.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 9, 2019 at 7:32:40 am

alt+click stopwatch. paste in code.
you could add an effect curves, set the adjustment layers to color or hue or luma will make the curves only affect one thing at a time.
i don't think it matter if you put it in a hue precomp or the final output comp as an adjustment layer.

I did come up with a large upgrade. This version will find the black white balance and white output white balance so you don't have as much grading to do in premiere. It fixed all the skin too. paste these in the rebel cc levels.

duplicate the 8mm ship and put the copy above the original. set the mode to 'color'

red input black

effect("Step 1: Set Black")("ADBE Color Control-0001")[0]/50-effect("Shadow Brightness")("ADBE Slider Control-0001")

green input black

effect("Step 1: Set Black")("ADBE Color Control-0001")[1]/50-effect("Shadow Brightness")("ADBE Slider Control-0001")

blue input black
effect("Step 1: Set Black")("ADBE Color Control-0001")[2]/50-effect("Shadow Brightness")("ADBE Slider Control-0001")

ae 2017 auto white balance plus hue plus 3dw 1080
remove flicker, fix white balance across 3 white points. enlarged to 1080
https://f1.creativecow.net/13511/ae-2017-auto-white-balance-plus-hue-plus-3...

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 10, 2019 at 1:27:46 am

Thanks again for your response, I'm just getting back to this tonight.

So I alt+clicked the stopwatch on Shadow Amount under Shadow/Highlight in the 8mm footage, pasted in the code you wrote above, and I get this error message:

"you could add an effect curves, set the adjustment layers to color or hue or luma will make the curves only affect one thing at a time."

So the problem when I create the hue comp, and then add the adjustment layer, I add the Hue/Saturation and Curves effects, but don't really know what to do with those effects. Just adding them doesn't seem to do much of anything. And I don't see how to set the adjustment layer to color, or hue, or luma. Do you mean set the mode of the adjustment layer to color, hue, stencil luma, or silhouette luma?

I'm still not sure what this means, "an adjustment layer set to hue for effect-hue." Do you mean set the mode of the adjustment layer with the curves effect to hue so that the curves effect only affects the hue? How do I set the curve effect?

Here's what I have so far:

Does that look correct?

I appreciate the AE CC 2017 upgrade file. But unfortunately, I can't do anything with it because I'm running CS6, and CS6 won't open AE CC 2017 files.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 10, 2019 at 4:26:41 am

I have decided its easier to just export as an older version than piecemeal the updated code. To that end, I saved all my latest updates as an older CS6 version which should be compatible with your CS6.

AE -CS6 remove flicker and fix auto white balance in 3d points.
13514_aecs6autowhitebalanceplushueplus3dw1080cs6.zip

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 10, 2019 at 5:12:37 am

I honestly can't thank you enough. I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 11, 2019 at 1:18:54 am

So I'm rendering this out now. I've got about a 2 hour render time, so I probably won't post on this again tonight.

There was only one small glitch. For some reason, when I replaced the footage the width seemed scrunched, so that there were black bars on either side of the screen. This was easy enough to fix by stretching the width scale to 110. I checked the aspect ration of the project, and it was set to 1920 x 1080. I checked the details in the properties of the footage, and it too was set at 1920 x 1080. So not sure what happened, but it looks right when I stretch it out like that. I was able to deal with that but thought I'd put that in here for future reference for others.

But mainly I wanted to make a point of thanking you again. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 11, 2019 at 3:15:23 am

pixel aspect ratio was 0.91 from old NTSC SD and lower fields were on. glad you find it useful. i'm working on prototyping an autograder that sets the black point, white point, gamma, saturation. this code here I will use for the 3d white pointing.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 11, 2019 at 4:15:47 am

So it just got done rendering out. There's still a slight variation in color in the white background, it fluctuates between a cool white and a warm yellowish white.

But overall, holy smokes what an improvement! Obviously, it's good advice to use the correct camera settings and create good footage from the start. But those who say bad footage can't be improved haven't seen this work. Incredible!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 11, 2019 at 4:24:23 am

I wonder what would happen if I ran my rendered footage through this again?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 11, 2019 at 5:22:07 am

you can keyframe issue areas as well. it's only as good as the algorithm as it averages every thing it sees. highly saturated objects will skew results, so you can mask them or use arithmetic effect to clip certain values out.(I haven't added arithmetic effect feature yet)

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 11, 2019 at 1:06:24 pm

Where would I place the arithmetic effect? What settings would I put in the arithmetic effect?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 12, 2019 at 4:39:48 am

i fixed the pixel aspect ratio, fields, layers, comps. etc.

I split apart the code for the hue precomp and added an arithmetic effect in it
so you can lower, for example, the blue channel and it won't use that to calculate white balance. you can keyframe it for difficult shots. Worked really well for the cell phone shot.

I moved the hue, color, gamma, layers into the final output comp so you can color grade separately from the algorithm.

AE CS6 whitebalance deflicker template
13526_aecs66autowhitebalance3dwb1080arithmetic.zip

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 13, 2019 at 2:32:12 am

That's awesome! But for some reason, my CS6 can't open this one.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 13, 2019 at 3:23:38 am

oops, I zipped up the wrong one. try this.

ae CS6 autowhitebalance
13528_gobackaecs6autowhitebalanceplushueplus3dw1080arithmeticcs6.zip

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 13, 2019 at 5:01:41 am

Thanks!

As an aside, I'm going to be adding this process to the footage. I've used it before, and find it superior to many plugins, and even Neat Video in some cases. I know this is probably amateur stuff for you, but I thought I'd pass it along:

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 15, 2019 at 8:02:07 am

you may find this interesting. this is an autograder prototype proof of concept

It sets black point, white point, 3 points of white balance, 18% gamma, RGB 204 saturation per frame. I tested it on a few clips. It will even work on log footage. Some things aren't perfect with log/linear, but it demonstrates that it is possible to grade everything automatically. I haven't coded perceptual gamma so if a very large dark object takes up the whole frame, it will try to get 18% grey still.

I also tested it on some Arri log footage and it came out good. Might be useful for quick 'n dirty output for web based articles. You will still need color graders for perceptual grading as pure math will never give you exactly what you want all the time.

The only two sliders left are in final output comp, master sliders black point and white point that you can offset.

AE CS6 autograder 1.0a
13531_aeautograder1.0acs6.zip

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 17, 2019 at 2:22:47 am

I'll definitely take a look at it. I was able to calm the fluctuation between cool and warm white by putting it in Premiere, and using color correction to essential desaturate it a bit. But any time I try to add a bit more contrast the fluctuation comes right back. I'm rendering out what might be my last try on this. But maybe I'll push the final product through this auto grader.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Jrakman
on Jul 17, 2019 at 2:36:20 am

And thanks again!

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]