ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

research query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brettresearch query
by on Jun 15, 2013 at 5:11:12 pm

Hi -

-- wondering if anyone can say if 3D plugins ( particular say ) will work as part of a ray traced setup in AE.

Also same query about element 3D -- any ideas please ?

-------------------- chris --

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: research query
by on Jun 15, 2013 at 7:26:58 pm

Yes and no.

Plug-ins that use AE's 3D space are applied to 2D layers, which can have effects applied as usual in a ray-traced composition. So you can apply Element 3D and Particular in a ray-traced composition to 2D layers and they will work as usual.

However, they will not be 'seen' by any of the 3D layers in the composition. The particles or Element 3D objects will not be reflected or refracted in any of the 3D layers in the composition. Furthermore you will be unable to make good use of several of the normally available features of the plug-ins, I'm thinking specifically of the Obstruction Layer in Particular.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: research query
by on Jun 15, 2013 at 7:37:55 pm

I just turned on ray trace and particular still works together...and Darby is a bit faster than me, but he's 100% correct as usual.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: research query
by on Jun 15, 2013 at 9:02:35 pm

Hi Chaps -

- many thanks for speedy replies which are much appreciated.

I guess what I was expecting but was I was hoping ( worst case ) that it might be possible to apply effects to an adjustment layer / pre-compose it / then get it to work in scene so that it can be seen by the ray tracer .........

Anyway - once again , many thanks.

All the best -------chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved