ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"tracing" stroke effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
"tracing" stroke effect
on Jun 15, 2013 at 12:06:33 pm

Hi, I got a layer that consists of a bunch of masks which are just basic lines.
There is a stroke effect on the layer and I animated the end parameter to make it look like the line is drawn over time.

Now I am trying to "attach" a shape so that it moves along with the "completition" of the line that is drawn. Sorry I don't know how to say that in a better way.

Does someone have an idea how to accomplish this?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: "tracing" stroke effect
on Jun 15, 2013 at 12:35:13 pm

Open up one of the layers with a mask you would like to follow, and open up the mask and click and highlight "Mask Path", (Cntl+C) to copy that path. Now open the layer you want to follow the stroke and open it's position property, click/highlight and (Cntl+V) to paste the path into the positon. AE will create roving keyframes that will follow the path. If you need to adjust the timing, just grab one of the end keyframes, and move it and the middle ones will adjust to follow. If you want regular keyframes, select them all, right click and un-select roving keyframes.

Depending on the size of the layers, you many need to adjust the starting position of your layer. The quickest way to do this is by adjusting the anchor point of the layer. Once you do that your layers should match up.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Jun 15, 2013 at 1:13:14 pm

Thank you John. It's working partially. I guess I still didn't correctly understand a part of your solution.

Here's the problem:
Like I said there are several masks (lines) on the layer. The stroke effect "reveals" all of them one by one.
Right now when I copy the first mask path and copy it into the position of the new layer it spans the "animation" over the time that it takes for ALL the masks to be revealed in the original.
I have 36 masks on my source layer which reveal over a time of about 4 seconds one by one. After copy/pasting the first mask path, the timing for the first movement is spread out over the complete 4 seconds. (Same if I deselect roving)
If I got it right, i now need to manually adjust the timing by moving the last point.. the result is not good.

Could you please tell me if I just did something wrong or if this is indeed the intended solution

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 15, 2013 at 1:49:06 pm

If I got this, you don't want to deselect roving, just un_highlight all the roving keyframes, then grab the first one and move it to when the stroke starts. Do the same with the end keyframe and match it to when the first stroke effect ends and you should be good.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Jun 16, 2013 at 10:51:17 pm

Thank you John ! That helped a lot

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 17, 2013 at 1:07:27 am

Glad to help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Barlow
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:03:02 am

If one of you could make a video showing you do this it would be much appreciated. Im more of a visual person and it would help me alot! :)

Thanks,
Jeremiah B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]