ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I generate and export HD interlaced footage from AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Perry
How do I generate and export HD interlaced footage from AE
on Jun 14, 2013 at 6:22:35 pm

I build graphics and bumpers for conferences and award shows.
I use aftereffects and fcp to make animations and, if building an award show for example, usually use Keynote as the final program to assemble and deliver the show in: playing any opening vt’s or animations straight out of a 1920 x 1080 presentation.
I’m in the uk so usually use 1080p at 25fps

I export the graphics as QuickTime movies, using ProRes422(proxy) codec
A MacBookPro is connected to a switcher on the night and I let the rest of the production crew take the Keynote from there and project the image up on the screen/mix it with live camera etc.
We’ve found this to be an easy and efficient way to deliver shows. It’s my typical workflow and everything always runs smoothly.

For my next show, with a new production company, I again want to make some animated graphics and backgrounds that will be put together in a 1920 x 1080 Keynote presentation to form the backbone of a live award show– a 2 to 3 min opening sting and then several looping animated backgrounds for text to build up on.

The production company have asked for the show to be 1080i50 h.264 as the show will be broadcast quality and my graphics will be mixing with live cameras that I PRESUME are also supplying 1080i50.

My question is, what’s the best way to achieve this workflow and end up with h.264 1080i50 footage? I’m sure there are many ways to do this, but I’m out of my comfort zone. Can I proceed as usual and simply put everything into compressor of fcp to turn it into interlaced footage, or should I export it interlaced straight out of AE. If so, how do I set this up? and what is the best container?

Sorry for the long winded question, but I guess the more info the better.
I’m working on a iMac with CS6 and FCP7, and deliver the footage on an MBP i7
Thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: How do I generate and export HD interlaced footage from AE
on Jun 15, 2013 at 12:13:22 am

Work in a 1920x1080 comp at 25 fps.

When you add the comp to the render queue, open its Render Settings and turn Field Render on. Use Adobe Media Encoder to make an H.264 with one of the interlaced presets.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Nick Perry
on Jun 15, 2013 at 9:13:18 am

Thanks walter, but when I turn on field render in ae the video becomes washed out and looks nothing like the original. I've tried using encoder with the 1080i preset on a progressive version of the video from ae and the resulting mp4 looks good, plays in vlc, but won't show up in keynote.
I'm sure it's something simple that I am missing, but I just can't get this workflow to work.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 16, 2013 at 5:27:05 am

[Nick Perry] "Thanks walter, but when I turn on field render in ae the video becomes washed out and looks nothing like the original."

Odd -- how are you evaluating?

[Nick Perry] "I've tried using encoder with the 1080i preset on a progressive version of the video from ae and the resulting mp4 looks good, plays in vlc, but won't show up in keynote. "

Sorry, I missed the Keynote part. It does choke on MP4. I've used the x264 Quicktime plugin for output for Keynote.

I'm not sure if Keynote will handle interlaced video correctly, even if you're using an interlaced display mode.

Possibly better to render at 50fps progressive and let the switcher do the work?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]