ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Import a Non-Contiguous Sequence of Frames from Real-world Cameras

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Demian KrentzImport a Non-Contiguous Sequence of Frames from Real-world Cameras
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 10:15:44 pm

We have a 360 degree camera set-up. Several dozen cameras arrayed in a circle around a real-world object. trying to replicate the matrix "bullet time" look. All cameras are shooting continuously for several seconds. I'd like to import only frame 1 from camera 1, frame 2 from camera 2, frame 3 from camera 3, and so on. Eventually, I'll stich these frames together to create the bullet-time-like effect. I imagine there are probably tutorials out there that explain how to do this, but it has been ten years since this was super popular. So none of them are showing up in my searches.

I don't necessarily need to use AE to do this. I could just as easily import into Premiere or Final Cut and then port it to AE.

If anyone knows of an import technique or script or trick, or some other technique outside of any of these apps that'll allow me to skip the frames I don't need, I'd love to hear about it. It'll save me the hassle of manually adjusting hundreds and hundreds of frames.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Import a Non-Contiguous Sequence of Frames from Real-world Cameras
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:22:27 pm

Most simply:

Import all your camera footage and arrange them in sync on the timeline with the first camera on the first layer, the second camera underneath it on the second layer, the third camera on the third layer, etc.

Select the first layer (Camera 1's footage), tap the T key to reveal its Opacity property, alt-click the animation stopwatch and enter the following expression:

if (timeToFrames() == index) 100 else 0;

Now, click the Opacity property to make sure it's selected, then Edit > Copy expression only. Select the rest of the layers and Edit > Paste (or Ctrl-V/Cmd-V).

The code above says, for each layer in the comp, if the current frame number is the same as my layer number, make me fully visible; if not, make me completely invisible. This will give you one frame from each layer in order, starting on frame 1.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Demian KrentzRe: Import a Non-Contiguous Sequence of Frames from Real-world Cameras
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:31:46 pm

Brilliant. Exactly what I needed. Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]