ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects to Final Cut 10

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helena MastersonAfter Effects to Final Cut 10
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:46:53 pm

I'm currently working on a project in Final Cut 10 and have been exporting my titles from After Effects CS6 as Apple Pro Res 4444, as I find this gives good quality in FCP10. I know to put footage into After Effects to export the XML to keep the high footage quality and was wondering if there was a better workflow using XML from AE to FC10 that would keep the graphics quality higher than the way I'm doing it at the moment?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects to Final Cut 10
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:14:24 pm

If you're not used to AE, you may not be aware that there's a difference between Exporting and Rendering.

Rendering means you use the AE Render Queue, and it's generally better to use it. AE is a 64-bit application but QT is 32-bit, and exporting as opposed to rendering from AE gives QT fits.

I'm not sure how XML works between FCPX and AE, but if you're rendering ProRes 4444 animated alpha channel titles to import into FCPX, you're getting the best possible image quality.

All the normal stuff such as matching video dimensions & frame rates still apply.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects to Final Cut 10
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 2:50:29 pm

[Helena Masterson] "I know to put footage into After Effects to export the XML to keep the high footage quality and was wondering if there was a better workflow using XML from AE to FC10 that would keep the graphics quality higher than the way I'm doing it at the moment?"

XML describes the structure of the edit; it has nothing to do with the quality of your renders.

ProRes 4444 is immaculate -- very nearly mathematically perfect. ProRes 4444 also works at up to 14 bits per channel. In Ae, work in 16 bpc instead of 8 bpc and render using Trillions of Colors instead of Millions to preserve that additional color depth.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Helena MastersonRe: After Effects to Final Cut 10
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 7:22:07 pm

Thanks for the responses, it was a question out of curiosity more than not being happy with the quality of ProRes 4444. I'm generally ok with rendering using the render queue as I usually do it that way, but some really helpful tips regarding colour depth etc that I tried today and the graphics in my edit looked great! You've put my mind at rest I'm doing it the best way so I'll stick to the method I'm using (along with the tips you've given me)! Thanks guys :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]