ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant StracLower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 4:57:24 pm

I am using After Effects and Video Co-Pilot1.6 with Mac Pro with plenty of juice in it.

I have a lower 3 I made in Motion 5 and I exported a still and brought it into After Effects to add a 3D box in the corner. I need to now attach different images to that box so when it turns a different logo shows each time.

In my project it's a infomercial called Anti-Aging Foods. Then we have different segments called, "Anti-Aging Research, Anti-Aging Gym, Et cetera, & Et cetera"

I have made solid layer, used Element 3d plugin and chose a box from primitives. I was able to make it spin over time the way I want but I can not for the life of me figure out how to attach the image to the front, right,back, left sides.

I tried to take the logo and make that a 3d object but I couldn't figure it out. Because I figured if I could turn the image 3d I can pay them on top and use masks to make it look the way I want.

If any one knows how to achieve this look with Element 3d or just with after effects or motion 3,4,5. I just need a box that looks like it is spinning with different logos on each side.

I attached a video of the idea I am trying to do.

Thanks so much for your time.

Grant Strac

Elelemt3d Help

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 5:41:48 pm

The only way to apply a texture to each side of a cube in element 3d is to create the cube in another application (such as c4d or max) and apply a different material to each side there, then import that to element 3d.

I guess you can have 3 instances of the plugin with 1 texture in each and using it's matte capabilities to exclude the unwanted sides but that's too much of a hassle to get a simple spinning cube.

Return to posts index

Grant StracRe: Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 5:43:09 pm

Ok thank you. I do not know at all how to use 4d I haven't had time to crack into it.

So how do you add a texture to that 3d box using Element 3d?

Please & Thank you

Return to posts index

Grant StracRe: Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 5:45:18 pm

In the scene box selecting my textures and add the image it comes up funny and not properly. it is shiny and weird looking is there a way to make the image a 3d object like the way you do with text?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 5:59:39 pm

Unless I'm missing something you should be able to do this completely in AE. Create a comp with square dimensions(720x720) and name it Side 1(I worked in a final comp of 1280x720, so I made the cube as tall as the final comp). Add a solid to the comp. Now duplicate the comp six times. Now create "Cube Final"(1280x720) comp and drag in the 6 precomps and change them all to 3D layers. Go to side 2 and move the anchor point to (0,360,0), then move the layer to 1000,360,0. Now rotate on the Y axis -90 degrees.

Do that for all the layers making an adjustment for where the layer will be, left, right, top, bottom. Next create a controller null, make it 3D, and move it to 640,360,360 and parent all the sides to the null. Now rotate the null and you are finished.

You can drag this layer into your final comp, use the continuous rasterize button and enable 3D, resize and position. You can even add lights to enhance your 3D look. Now just add your logos to each "Side" comp and you're done.

Take a look at my example project: 6142_cube.aep.zip

OR you could purchase this script (Create3D Shapes)C from AEScripts, make your sides with logos in a precomp and run the script to make a cube in your final and you'd be done.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:17:17 pm

OK! I'm not great with after effects my one major mistake in my career was to get master certified on apple final cut studio and not take a single class of Adobe. If I could yell at younger me I would tell him to take an after effects class. But I am learning as I go its very similar to Motion.

I am going to give this a try later tonight! Thanks so much for your input it's greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:25:57 pm

Just let us know if you have any problems following what I did, either I or someone else will probably be able to help you out here.

And it's never too late to learn something knew, I'm just learning C4D and I've been working in video for 15 years.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:39:38 pm

No you're not missing anything. The only reason I said how to do with Element 3d instead of the AE way (that's easily acchievable with a script) was because I though he needed some specific 3d look, beveled edges or reflections and etc.

But then you're absolutly right, he should just open up that project and get it from there.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 3:11:30 pm

Here's a .C4D of a cube with six separate texture slots that you can import and use in Element.

You can create the textures for each side as layers in your Ae comp. Select these layers in Element's "Custom Texture Layers" section. Open the Element UI and import the attached .C4D file. For each texture slot, select it and click the Diffuse button, then select the appropriate texture layer. Alternately, you could prepare still images and import them here.

6144_cubeforelement.c4d.zip

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:30:50 pm

You are incredibly kind, thank you sir. I am walking through your instruction now.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2013 at 4:52:36 pm

YES! Dude thank you. A lot of people where trying to help but you nailed it on the HEAD. Your a gentleman and a scholar enjoy your day.

Grant Strac

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2013 at 6:09:30 pm

Walter. I wanted to say thank you again you saved my *** by giving me that obj. It looks fantastic.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Lower3 Spinning box with different images each side-(Element 3D) Video Co-Pilot 3d Model
by on Jun 15, 2013 at 12:09:36 am

Grant, you're welcome. I'm glad to see this was helpful. Maybe someone else will find this post and find the cube useful, too.

Just FYI, if you're on Adobe Creative Cloud, you'll be getting CINEMA 4D Lite included with After Effects CC, available June 17.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]