ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make custom shape Trapcode particles build a 2D shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caroline LuzHow to make custom shape Trapcode particles build a 2D shape
by on Jun 10, 2013 at 1:03:01 pm

Hello all, I am trying to take a swarm of custom shaped particles and form them into a 2D shape, and then after a few seconds have that 2D shape contort into another 2D shape. I'm trying to use Particular and Form but to no avail. But perhaps these are not the tools I want to use. Can anyone recommend either a Particular / Form tutorial or a different plugin altogether? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: How to make custom shape Trapcode particles build a 2D shape
by on Jun 10, 2013 at 5:23:51 pm

neither particular nor form will be able to make exactly that. Particular can have custom particles form a custom shape, but then you can't change this shape with those same already emitted particles.

If you can fake some of it(let the particles die and emitt others, or fade in/out) you may be able to do that with particular alone.

The only other way I would know of to do it flawlessly would be within cinema 4d. But if you're not familiar with it, I'd suggest you try the faking approach first.

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: How to make custom shape Trapcode particles build a 2D shape
by on Jun 10, 2013 at 8:28:50 pm

Form can use either a 2D layer for RGB and alpha information about the particles - so you can form a logo or text - or can use the vertices of a 3D object if you want to get really fancy. For the 2D option, look at the 'Layer Maps' options, where you can specify a layer to use for the RGBA info for your particles. The layer can be a pre-comp in which you morph from one shape to another, crank up the fractal forces during the transition, and that should give the effect you want.

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]