ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Noise on my actor after using keylight and rending in Adobe Media Enhancer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Cotterill
Noise on my actor after using keylight and rending in Adobe Media Enhancer
on Jun 8, 2013 at 6:09:58 am

I'm getting some form of noise on my actor. Hard to explain and I'm sure there is a technical term for it. The actor and indeed the foreground sort of 'glistens' <<< I'm hoping it makes sense.

I've done (what I believe is) a clean chroma key using key light. I've followed several tutorials on it and I'm 99% certain I'm doing it correctly. I'm stumped as to what I am doing wrong.

I'm rendering using Adobe Media Enhancer. I've tried several settings and all come out the same issue. Although I haven't tried lossless yet but I don't see the point as this is for youtube.

I've used Ultra Key in Prem Pro and I don't get that same noise, but I want to use AE for the extra mask/custom options.

Any help much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin Cotterill
Re: Noise on my actor after using keylight and rending in Adobe Media Enhancer
on Jun 8, 2013 at 6:50:26 am

UPDATE:

I zoomed into my footage before and after adding keylight effect and it (keylight) definitely caused the actor to glisten. I've played through a few keyframes with and without keylight and I can see the difference.

I've gone through all the recommended settings and it doesn't improve.

Also, I found this video online and it shows the same problem I am having:

Thanks

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 8, 2013 at 7:15:05 am

This generally is a result of Keylight's despill doing a bad job. Try changing the view to Intermediate Result rather than Final Result and then despilling by some other means if necessary.

Here's a post where I describe how I like to despill:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1027628

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Kevin Cotterill
on Jun 8, 2013 at 7:33:14 am

Thanks Darby. Not sure I can do that to be honest. I'm still a learner.

I thought key light was supposed to be a ground breaking tool but this seems like a big flaw.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24:05 am

It depends also on the footage you have- how it was shot (camera settings, lights- how clean the chroma screen is), what kind of chroma (green or blue), what color information does the footage have (is it 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 or other).
Keylight does a great job.
Darby proposed a solution that is quite easy and it usually resolves most noise issues. It should be easy to follow even for a beginner.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin Cotterill
on Jun 9, 2013 at 2:50:52 am

Thanks Ted.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 9, 2013 at 3:29:56 pm

Yes, Keylight is a ground-breaking tool, and very powerful, but the definition of "ground-breaking" can vary. If you took that to mean "apply it to your key shot and it does all the work", you'd be way off.

Keylight is able to do what it does because of its' powerful features, and you have to learn these to make it work. It's not rocket science (it is science), but it's also not apply it and you're done - every keying project is different - here's a good basic tutorial from VideoCopilot:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/colorkey.php

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]