ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RAM / SSD / Gfx Card

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy JosephRAM / SSD / Gfx Card
by on Jun 8, 2013 at 6:09:22 am

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a new i7 six cores machine i.e. Intel i7 3930k + X79TO Board and its just for After effects CS3. Now I need an experts advice on three gadgets:

1. RAM

How much max Ram AE CS3 can utilize on Windows7, 64bit system
when multi-processing is on, is it 2 GB per core or more ?

Should i go for 16 gb or 32 gb?

2. SSD

Second, how many Intel 525 SSD's should i get for the best optimal configuration.

3. Graphics Card

And please suggest any entry level graphics card that works best with AE coz i've heard that graphics card don't matter much for rendering or RAM previews so i don't want to spend much on it.

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: RAM / SSD / Gfx Card
by on Jun 8, 2013 at 12:29:26 pm

Why are you using After Effects CS3? If you have the budget to be buying hardware, then you should use some of it on getting a more recent version of After Effects, too. At least get After Effects CS5, which made a huge leap forward in terms of performance and memory handling with the port to 64-bit. After Effects CS3 is very limited in terms of how much memory it can use, and it was never tested on the OS (Windows 7) that you say that you're using.

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects (CS5 and later):

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Andy JosephRe: RAM / SSD / Gfx Card
by on Jun 8, 2013 at 8:08:38 pm

Hi Todd,

I really wanna try my hand on CS5 but i'm working as a newbie stock producer & AE CS5 Temps seems to have very low sales as compared to CS3 & older versions so there are still lot of people who haven't upgraded & they want temps in CS3.

I absolutely appreciate your advice but as of now i need a solution to fasten my workflow in CS3. Todd, can you please help me with my queries. Regards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved