ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animate text (typewriter style) with persistent last character

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al AveryAnimate text (typewriter style) with persistent last character
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 5:16:14 pm

I am working in AE CS6 trying to achieve something that I *think* should be fairly simple to do, but my math or abstract thinking is off today. I have a sentence (a question) that I want to animate in, typewriter-style, and want to start by showing the question mark and have the question mark persist as the characters are typed out. e.g.:
?
H?
Ho?
How?
How can I get this question mark to constantly remain at the end?

I've tried using the Range Selector and Character Value property, but I have to crack up the smoothness of the range selector to see the upcoming character (and even then it's not at 100% opacity) and Character Value seems to behave like an offset, not a constant value – giving me seemingly random characters, not a constant one.

I did see some discussions about Panopticum AnimaText. I'd prefer to get this to work without purchasing a plug-in, but will if needed.

Thanks for looking!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Animate text (typewriter style) with persistent last character
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 5:49:04 pm

Have you tried using the Word Processor preset? Just delete the " Animator - (Cursor Blink)" and change the character offset to be a question mark instead of an underscore(63).

Here's a quick example project: 6121_wordprocessorcs5.5.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Al AveryRe: Animate text (typewriter style) with persistent last character
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:06:00 pm

That works nicely. Thank you. One follow-up question: is it possible to have the offset character still appear animator encounters a space? I tried adding a non-breaking space (opt+space on a Mac) but that didn't seem to help?

Return to posts index

William ScholikRe: Animate text (typewriter style) with persistent last character
by on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:23:50 pm

You can select based on "characters excluding spaces" under the advanced roll down for all three variables (cursor, Cursor Blink and Reveal)
This will keep a ? on screen at all times but it will jump the spaces.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]