ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Wet effect on dry blood

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Hugo FernandezWet effect on dry blood
by on Jun 6, 2013 at 12:47:53 pm

Hi, I'm having some problems with a scene. When they filmed it they forgot the character had just had blood spilled on his face in the movie and it appears completely dry. The problem is that the guy is facing down with a hand on his face before he looks at the camera and removes it so it's a bit of a pain masking that.

What's the fastest way to do this? So far I've tried painting the blood highlights and shadows on photoshop and tracking them (but it doesn't work because his face changes too much and the blood drops get bigger or smaller depending on the angle) and using CCGlass (but it behaves weirdly when he removes his hand due to the shadows). Any suggestion?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Wet effect on dry blood
by on Jun 6, 2013 at 1:47:00 pm

I'd strongly suggest you figure out a way to schedule another shoot. Based on talent, locations, & crew it could be difficult to completely recreate what you did before, so you may need to come up with some alternate shots(CU of face) to transition bridge/cover your issues, but that will still look 100 times better than trying to pull off making blood look wet on a someone's face in post.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Wet effect on dry blood
by on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:13:42 pm

Besides re-shooting, like John I still think is the best solution, I would try the following:

Try to key out the dry blood. Roto if you can't key.
Create a displacement map for the dry blood by duplicating the layer, de-saturate, duplicate again and use Levels to lighten up the layer. Use a Matte choker to feather the edges and precomp with the first duplicated layer. Use this map with FreeForm Pro to displace the blood in 3d and use a Reflection Map to create the "wet" look.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved